Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 Performance on iPad 4

From the day of IOS 9 Launch i am trying to get it on my Ipad 4th generation but a fear of degradation in performance and laggy Ul stops me. Because i have seen since IOS 7 no improvement is happen and even my iPad gets worst after each update. So now IOS 9.2.1 is out and 9.3 a massive update is about to lauch, i want your opinion guyz who are using IOS 9 on their iPads (particularly iPad 4). Is it good to update or i should stay on 8.4.1. Plz guide me in detail. Generally by reading reviews and watching comparison videos i found that IOS 9 almost same in performance as IOS 8 but better in animations in some areas. What do you think please told me.

iPad, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 7:04 AM

25 replies

Jan 29, 2016 9:55 AM in response to zain5

I Don't recommend it at all. This is the reason I came to this forum. I want to units all iOS 9.2.1. Ever since I performed the update my iPad is a mess! I hate it and want to uninstall. My iPad freezes up alll the time, pages I'm viewing stop responding then message me that page has stopped responding and needs to reload. Pages on safari takes forever to download. I'm so disappointed I could cry. Never had any issues and I did the update and regret it!

Jan 29, 2016 11:04 PM in response to zain5

My iPad 2 and 3 models are working fantastic on the latest iOS 9.

The iPad 4 should upgrade fine as it has the same RAM (1 GB) as the iPad 3 and has a slightly faster CPU than the iPad 3.

There is nothing wrong with iOS 9 and the current version.

This latest iOS 9.2.1 update is designed to plug a long standing security hole that took Apple forever to plug.

Plus, this update was specifically tailored to address issues on older iDevice models.

My advice on doing ANY iOS upgrades/updates.

The better method of a successful iOS upgrade/update download and install.

Ideally, your iDevice should maintain a minimum free storage amount of 4- 6 GBs or greater on any iDevice (the more free space, the better) , plus, more than 50%-60% battery status to ensure proper operation, as well as, to ensure the possibility of a successful iOS upgrade/update installation.
In addition it is best to upgrade an iDevice connected up to a computer running iTunes with you iDevice sync'd and backed up through iTunes rather than Over The Air (OTA) using a wireless WiFi connection, if this is possible.

Doing a major or critical OS upgrade/update can be risky to do over Wifi or cellular due to the potential of data interruption or data drop outs causing issues with the download of the OS data and the subsequent install to the device.

Also, it is better to do the upgrade/update through iTunes as you'll get the entire upgrade/update and not just a smaller sized WiFi download version/portion that is based on your model iDevice that may or may not download everything your particular iDevice needs.

If you have no other choice than to use Wifi, then make sure you have a strong and stable connection signal the will not induce the potential for data drop outs.

I prefer the iTunes method as there is minimal risk and I have never had ANY issues with ANY OS updates using this method.

Also, with older iPad models (2,3 & 4 models) it is best to turn of most of the graphics and animation eye candy and a few other things (see most last post below) to optimise the performance of these older models iPads. Older iPads cannot really well handle the new motion graphics eye candy.

Best to turn all of that off OR reduced its effect.

Good Luck!

Jan 29, 2016 10:59 PM in response to suziebags

A disclaimer.

I make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that any of my own procedures will return EVERY older iPad to a usable, running condition.

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.

Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.

If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.

Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.

If using Safari is still causing issues,

Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.

I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.

I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you are willing to do this (I, personally, wouldn't recommend this), some users have reported that turning off Find My Phone/iPad, in Settings App under iCloud, has improved iOS performance, although I don't how this feature could be causing such a performance slowdown, unless its a bug in iOS that is only affecting some iPad users.

If you are using the latest and greatest iOS version, try turning off Safari Suggestions in the Settings App under the Safari Settings panel.

Try another hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Jan 31, 2016 4:58 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I Don't agree with you. Reason is beacuse i am on IOS 8.4.1 which is lesser in features than IOS 9 even then my ipad 4 is struggling hard in some areas like spotlight search, Notification centre, rotaion and five finger gestures animation. Why is it possible that your iPad 3 working perfectlt fine. I did restore as much times i can but nothing has chnged.

Jan 31, 2016 5:05 PM in response to zain5

zain5 wrote:

I Don't agree with you. Reason is beacuse i am on IOS 8.4.1 which is lesser in features than IOS 9 even then my ipad 4 is struggling hard in some areas like spotlight search, Notification centre, rotaion and five finger gestures animation. Why is it possible that your iPad 3 working perfectlt fine. I did restore as much times i can but nothing has chnged.

Well, if my iPad 3 is working fine and Michael's iPad 2 and 3 are working fine, than Apple isn't doing a very good job of forcing people to buy new iPads. Perhaps there's something wrong with your iPad's hardware.

Jan 31, 2016 7:37 PM in response to zain5

My iPad 4 runs as well if not better today then the day I bought it. The new update process lets you update without having to clear 4 GB of space. I noticed each update since and including IOS 9 does a little house cleaning so you end up with more memory then before the update the update. The iPad 4 is perfectly capable of running IOS 9.2.1 qnd IOS 9.3. Make a iCloud backup and report back in half an hour hour much you like the update.

IOS 9 Performance on iPad 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.