Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app has disappeared from OS X 10.6.8

Mail app has disappeared from my iMac using OS X 10.6.8.

On my iMac27 - Build 10K549 - around late 2009 - I use OS X 10.6.8 but have suddenly lost my Mail icon from the lower bar, worse still, the whole Mail application has gone from the HD. Unable to find it anywhere!

I still use OS X 10.6.8 as I have a Stylewriter printer and this appears to be the sophistication limit for the venerable Stylewriter.

How can I restore/get my Apple Mail back please?

In the interim I can use gmail, but find it a bit clunky to use compared with Apple Mail.

Stylewriter-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Used with iMac (2000)

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 4:03 PM

Backup* your software first.

Next run the 10.6 installer over the existing install.

Next run the 10.6.8 combo update.

Next run theSecurity update.

Next run the Java update (Java is not up to date with 10.6.8, although this update will provide the most secure Java for 10.6 to date).

Mail should return to the Applications folder. From there you can drag it to the Dock (what you call the "lower bar").

The Dock is NOT a folder, unlike the Windows taskbar. Removing items from the Dock only removes the shortcut to the original. The original will always reside in the Applications folder, when it comes to Applications. If you don't drag items from .dmg image files on your desktop to the Applications folder, or use the installer to install applications to the Applications folder, dismounting the .dmg file will remove your only access to the said file. Don't assume that dragging anything to the Dock will do anything other than make a shortcut to what was already residing somewhere on your hard drive.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 4:03 PM in response to Bigglesfela

Backup* your software first.

Next run the 10.6 installer over the existing install.

Next run the 10.6.8 combo update.

Next run theSecurity update.

Next run the Java update (Java is not up to date with 10.6.8, although this update will provide the most secure Java for 10.6 to date).

Mail should return to the Applications folder. From there you can drag it to the Dock (what you call the "lower bar").

The Dock is NOT a folder, unlike the Windows taskbar. Removing items from the Dock only removes the shortcut to the original. The original will always reside in the Applications folder, when it comes to Applications. If you don't drag items from .dmg image files on your desktop to the Applications folder, or use the installer to install applications to the Applications folder, dismounting the .dmg file will remove your only access to the said file. Don't assume that dragging anything to the Dock will do anything other than make a shortcut to what was already residing somewhere on your hard drive.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Jan 30, 2016 3:20 AM in response to a brody

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have not been able to make the original Apple DVD run to start the process which you describe.

1 I shut the iMac down for 5 mins,

2 I restarted the iMac and at the same moment inserted the original Installer DVD and held the keyboard C button down.

3 Much whirring, then a whir every 7 secs or so for a couple of minutes with silence in between.

4 The iMac screen showed grey with an Apple logo and a spinning gear wheel below the logo.

5 After a few minutes the DVD self ejected and a normal start occurred asking for my password.

The DVD is stamped Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD version 10.6

2Z691-6428-A 2009 All rights .....

The 2 accompanying DVDs in a darker grey colour are iMacApplications Install DVD & iMac OS X Install DVD.

Is my start sequence the problem?

Or is the CD/DVD drive malfunctioning?

Feb 2, 2016 1:51 AM in response to Bigglesfela

Many thanks for trying to solve my Apple iMac (2009 OS X 10.6.8 - Processor 2.66GHz Intel Core 15) problem.

But the problem still persists – no Mail application and original Install DVD discs do not want to help.

Clues?

1 After a normal start from rear button, original Install DVD is loaded & and then there are several brief whirrs and after about 10 secs the DVD self ejects.

2 Further tests ..... holding down C or Option during start does not seem to help.

3 Bringing up Applications folder shows in alphabetical order - ..... Keyspan, Library, Onyx, Photo Booth .... but no Mail in the 'M' location index area.

4 Inserting other generally music CD/DVD into iMac side slot: iMac seems able to read and open most CDs and DVDs that I insert to test it.

Feb 4, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Bigglesfela

2 I restarted the iMac and at the same moment inserted the original Installer DVD and held the keyboard C button down.

Your timing may be off.

Don't try to insert the DVD during the startup process. Startup normally then insert the DVD, wait to it appears on your desktop, then restart your Mac and hold down the C key.

Feb 4, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Lanny

Many thanks for trying to solve my Apple iMac (2009 OS X 10.6.8 - Processor 2.66GHz Intel Core 15) problem.

But the problem still persists – no Mail application and original Install DVD discs do not want to help.

Clues?

1 After a normal start from rear button, original Install DVD is loaded & and then there are several brief whirrs and after about 10 secs the DVD self ejects.

2 Further tests ..... holding down C or Option during start does not seem to help.

3 Bringing up Applications folder shows in alphabetical order - ..... Keyspan, Library, Onyx, Photo Booth .... but no Mail in the 'M' location index area.

4 Inserting other generally music CD/DVD into iMac side slot: iMac seems able to read and open most CDs and DVDs that I insert to test it.

Feb 4, 2016 10:11 AM in response to Bigglesfela

I went to the Apple store in Covent Garden, London today. Not a lot of help as all 3 Apple staff that I spoke to at 10 minute intervals were very polite but not keen on discussing DVD/CD drives & discs (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) as this is not part of the 2016 iMac. Indeed, there is NO such disc drive on the latest iMacs.

Best option given was to connect my old Black MacBook & my iMac with a Firewire 400 to 800 cable and start the iMac in TargetDisc mode from the ancient black MacBook. The store had no Firewire 400 to 800 cables so I will scour the internet this evening for one. Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

My thanks to the community for the several responses to this rather ancient Apple kit problem. It just seems a trifle rash to buy a complete new 2016 iMac 'cos the drive on my old 2009 iMac is playing up!

Feb 4, 2016 10:19 AM in response to Bigglesfela

Advice above followed by me.

1 With iMac running I inserted the original OS X Snow Leopard DVD.

2 It whirred a few times & then went silent.

3 After about 30 secs theDVD self ejected.

I have mail ordered a new set of Snow Leopard discs from Apple but fear that these too might fail to load.

The unusual problem of having no Mail application persists. Searches fail to find any reference to Mail or Apple Mail on my HD. But my personal mail can still be reached via Google mail. Thank you Google, but your interface is not as good as Apple!

Mail app has disappeared from OS X 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.