Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone videos not importing to iPhoto but are no longer on iPhone

My iPhone videos are not being imported to iPhoto. I've tried photo stream as well as manually importing via USB. However, the problem really lies in the fact that the thumbnails are still on my phone, but not readily available to share. For example, if I click to play a video on my phone that i had attempted to import, it's almost like its in the cloud and needs to "prepare" to be seen or shared (the little wheel spins for a LONG time before it is ready to view). I am able to email a video to myself, download it to my computer, and import it to iPhoto that way, but each video takes 5-10 minutes to "prepare" itself on my phone before I can send it. That process would take hours for all of the videos over the last few months. I've tried airdrop, but my phone won't see my iMac. Any suggestions other than slowly emailing each individual video? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 7:56 AM

I've tried photo stream as well as manually importing via USB.

My Photo Stream does not work with videos, see: My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

So either mail the photos or import them using a USB connection.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled? With "Optimize Storage" active? That would explain, that you are only seeing thumbnails on your iPhone. In that case download the videos to your Mac from iCloud and not from the iPhone.

You can download the videos from your iCloud page at https://www.icloud.com/

Sign and open the Photos.app, then click the Albums tab and open the "Videos" album.

Select the videos you want to download.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 7:56 AM in response to ksniemiec

I've tried photo stream as well as manually importing via USB.

My Photo Stream does not work with videos, see: My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

So either mail the photos or import them using a USB connection.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled? With "Optimize Storage" active? That would explain, that you are only seeing thumbnails on your iPhone. In that case download the videos to your Mac from iCloud and not from the iPhone.

You can download the videos from your iCloud page at https://www.icloud.com/

Sign and open the Photos.app, then click the Albums tab and open the "Videos" album.

Select the videos you want to download.

iPhone videos not importing to iPhoto but are no longer on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.