Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto trouble with latest Captain update

Hi all...

I had updated my MacPro to OSX El Captain and my Iphoto app won't open! I went to the app store to update and it says I can't. The app is not available in this country! I have a zillion photos and would like to download some more. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 8:13 AM

2 replies

Jan 29, 2016 8:16 AM in response to judy2905

Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos, which is intended as a replacement for iPhoto. If you'd like to go on using iPhoto in addition to or instead of switching to Photos, clickhereand try following the instructions; you'll only be able to do so if you previously got iPhoto from or associated it with the Mac App Store.

(138937)

Jan 29, 2016 10:40 AM in response to judy2905

iPhoto wasn't deleted from your hard drive. It was just removed from the Dock and is still in the Applications folder. In order to get iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store you first must have some version of iPhoto 9.X on your hard drive. If you do try following Terence Devlin's instructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

NOTE: the key to this procedure is to move the existing version of iPhoto 9 to the Trash bin in the Dock (don't empty yet) before going to the App Store.

User uploaded file

Iphoto trouble with latest Captain update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.