Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older powerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. How can I upgrade this operating system?

I have an older powerBook G4 running os x 10.4.11. Can I upgrade this to a better operating system?

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 9:06 AM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2016 9:14 AM in response to williamfrommontrose

The newest system a Powerbook can run is 10.5 which itself is very out of date and I am not sure you would see much benefit in running it instead. You may find that most software has moved beyond 10.5 support. I just transitioned from a G4 but even though I had 10.5 discs I never bothered installing them because there wasn't much of a benefit for me and I figured by G4 was happier running 10.4.11

If all you need is a newer browser, check out TenFourFox.

Jan 29, 2016 11:32 AM in response to williamfrommontrose

Should your vintage obsolete G4 PowerBook have a processor of less than 867MHz

the highest upgrade to that hardware limit is Tiger 10.4.11. And that is a good OS X.

Even if the computer can upgrade to Leopard 10.5.8, it may balk without additional

hardware upgrades; more RAM and greater capacities of unused space in hard drive.

A specialty SSD such as the OWC Mercury Legacy Pro; this can be used with IDE/ATA.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

My vintage obsolete powerPC G4 computers all have a TenFourFox build suitable to

their range of processors; for G5 PPC there is a different build, too.

Good luck! 🙂

I have an older powerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. How can I upgrade this operating system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.