Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can a blind user use voice over with an ipad?

How does a blind user use voice over on an ipad? The gestures interpret a single touch and select a wrong item if you cannot see the screen whenever a swipe is made. It needs an area with no objects to swipe on but without sight you cannot find this.

I have worked out siri and that is useful for a start but accessing apps seems to be impossible.

I have had an hour workshop at an apple store but this did not go beyond siri. I went back and was advised to find youtube videos which I have done, but I could not find any that were more than general introductions to the ideas not anything very practical.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 2:21 AM

A three finger swipe can be made anywhere in the page. After swiping to another Home page the app in the upper left will be read and high-lighted. To read the screen swipe down two fingers from above the screen.

12 replies

Jan 30, 2016 2:20 AM in response to RobArn

To select apps with VoiceOver, you can either drag your finger on the screen until your hear the name of the app you want and then double tap any where to open it, or you can use one finger to flick right or left on the home screens to explore the apps. When VO says "double tap to open," you can tap anywhere on the screen and it will open the selected app. As bobseufert said, you can use 3 fingers to swipe between home screens. You mention you couldn't find a video that gave more than a general idea. Is there a specific app you are trying to figure out or a certain task you want to do?

Here a few links that have some good information on VoiceOver:

http://www.applevis.com/ -AppleVis has guides and podcasts on using accessibility features with Apple products, as well as a forum.

http://help.apple.com/ipad/9/#/iPad9a246898- The iPad user manual provides an overview of the VoiceOver gestures.

http://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/ios/voiceover/

As a side note: VoiceOver can also used with a bluetooth keyboard, some people prefer that to the screen based gestures.

-AJ

Jan 30, 2016 2:29 AM in response to AJ397

Many thanks bob and AJ. It is great to get some help. My blind friend who is struggling with his iPad air would like to use email and such things as amazon app to browse books to buy and also kindle to read. The main problem is that the gestures work on a blank area of screen, which he cannot locate being blind. If he does a side swipe or down swipe to navigate, for instance the list of emails on the left of the screen, in apple Mail every so often the iPad interprets a swipe as a single tap on an item somewhere else on the screen. He is off the list and is unable to see what has happened. The scrolling is lost and he is in a jungle of links and headings that can be swiped through or moved about but it makes no sense.

I hope that explains our problem.

I will study the links, particularly applevis which is new to me.

Thanks for them

Priority learning would be Mail, Kindle and Safari. We have managed Siri to write an email and to read a list of unread email, which is really good.

Thanks again

Robert

Jan 30, 2016 5:48 AM in response to RobArn

Using an apple wireless keyboard is similar to VoiceOver on OS X if he is familiar with that. There are slightly different VO key combinations, but the idea is the same. I prefer the BT keyboard in mail. The thing I have noticed in mail is that you sometimes get dropped into years old emails for no reason (maybe that is what is happening to him). The benifit I see in possibly trying a keyboard is that you friend will be less likely to become lost in a bunch of links from a misinterpreted swipe and it can be faster to type with. I don't have the kindle app, but I will check out what you listed as things he wanted to do, and reply later.

Bluethooth keyboad commands: http://help.apple.com/iphone/5/voiceover/en/iph6c494dc6.html

To get an idea of practical keyboard use/commands, you can see the following thread asking about spell check and getting the email read aloud. I'm trying to have VO read my emails on my iPad, I'm using an Apple bt keyboard and don't do gestures, how can I get the…

-AJ

Jan 30, 2016 10:59 AM in response to RobArn

Using Amazon app to search with the rotor:

First go to Settings> General> Accessibility > VoiceOver> Rotor> add Vertical Navigation to the rotor.

1. Turn on vertical navigation using the rotor.
  2. As soon as the app is loaded, flick upwards until you get to the search field*. If you get to the status bar first, flick down.
  3. Once you are on the search bar double tap anywhere to search.
  4. When the search results load, you can change the rotor back to headings or lines if desired.

*You can also drag your finger near the top of the screen to find the search bar, or drag your finger across the bottom of the screen to find the search tab. If you don't want to use the rotor.

Using the Kindle App:

Try using flicks with vertical navigation or headings in the Kindle App library. The same works in iBooks.

Safari works well with either the rotor or simply dragging your finger on the screen and double tapping after you find what you want. Bookmarking or favoriting your frequent sites, will make them easier to locate as well. The best navigation setting will depend on the website and what you are doing. There are normally multiple ways of doing one thing with VO, find the way that works best for you.

This support article goes over the rotor and what the various options do:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204783

-AJ

How can a blind user use voice over with an ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.