Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will windows and Office on Mac have same problems of freezing and cryptic messages as they do on Windows laptops

Hello,

My windows laptop suffers from freezing and (Not Responding) messages. If I run the Windows emulator and Office on a Macbook, in time, will I encounter the same problems as I do with my Samsung laptop?

iPhone 5, iOS 6, other handset is 3GS

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 11:45 AM

14 replies

Jan 29, 2016 12:29 PM in response to lllaass

Being a Windows user since the 1990s, my language may be alien, but emulator is something called Bootcamp? i.e. a windows system operating on a Macbook. This is not out of choice, this might be specified by corporate IT requirements ( I hope they'll be happy with OSX)..

Assume I haven't bought a Macbook yet, so it would the latest OSX or Yosemite/Maverick at the earliest (if I buy refurbished).

Also, Office would be the latest, assume 365 or 2010 at the very earliest.

Thanks for your interest 🙂

Jan 29, 2016 12:46 PM in response to paulyb2008

Again:

What version of Windows?

What version of Bot Camp Assistant?

What version of Office For Mac?

A better place to post would be Microsoft's Office for Mac forum. It is a Microsoft product that is having the problems

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac

In actuality Boot Camp is really not an emulator. With BC Windows runs directly on the Apple hardware. Sometime running Windows on top of OSX using a virtual machine is called using an emulator

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-boot-camp-compares-to-windows-emulator s.html

Jan 29, 2016 2:57 PM in response to lllaass

If I buy a new Macbook, assume it is Windows 8 or 10.

Which Boot Camp would be recommended?

As it is a new purchase, assume it is 365.

This is a generic question, not specific to Office. This is a question that could determine whether I'll switch to Mac, so assume I have no knowledge of compatibility or performance. What are the factors that affect this? You've provided some good links so no need to attempt to answer here, I'll check out Google and Dummies.com instead.

Jan 29, 2016 3:18 PM in response to paulyb2008

A new Mac will come with 10.11 (El Capitan). To use Windows you have to purchase the Windows software.

2015 and new Macs can run Windows 8.1 and later. The following tell you how to install Windows via Boot Camp.

Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Note that Office 365 is a yearly subscription service which does get you a copy to install on your computer.

Any current Mac will run Win 8.1 or 10 adequately via Boot Camp or even as a virtual machine for your use of Microsoft Office.

Jan 30, 2016 6:30 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Apple produced more than 38 minutes of Mac versus PC adverts, much of it criticising the freezing and bug problems associated with Windows systems. I assume these are not baseless accusations. Also, an interesting past Apple Event boasts the ability for Macs to operate WIndows. Indeed, why do this if the WIndows system is worthy of mockery?

Jan 30, 2016 6:35 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Reason for Windows? If my outsourced IT company needs a Windows based operating system to incorporate security and networking software, then a Macbook is completely useless. If however a Mac can run windows, then it could be possible. But if it then means operating a Mac with the irritations of MS OS then I'm better off with Dell or similar.

Feb 2, 2016 11:01 AM in response to paulyb2008

I use both Windows and OS X daily and I run Windows on both Macs and Windows-only hardware. The Windows operating system requires more regular maintenance than OS X. This is true whether you run Windows under BootCamp on a Mac, or whether you run it on a dedicated Windows PC like a Samsung.

Crashes, freezes and "not responding" messages are all symptoms that your Windows installation needs maintenance. A simple step you can take that fixes many, but not all problems is to open My Computer, right-click on your Hard Disk, choose Properties, click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking, click on Check Now. Select Automatically fix file system errors and click on the Start button. Windows will inform you it can't work on the disk while it's in use. Click on the Schedule disk check button, then restart your computer. If you're using Windows 7, this process can take awhile, so do it at the end of the work day.

will windows and Office on Mac have same problems of freezing and cryptic messages as they do on Windows laptops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.