Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s screen keeps going black. Sounds indicate phone is still on, but requires a soft reset before I can view/use the screen

Essentially the phone goes to 'sleep' and the screen won't come back on. If you have music playing and/or the phone is not on silent you can still hear sounds, indicating the phone is still on and running, however the screen is totally black. It requires a soft reset to work. This has happened 3 times already today.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 2:14 PM

Did you already try to force restart the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again? You will not lose any data, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not work, and to make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings, without using any backup data afterwards. Set up the rest of the personal settings manually and test the phone.

If the screen works as expected, restore from the latest backup. If the problem comes back, the backup data contained corrupt data, causing your issues.

If it still does not work, this is a hardware issue and the phone has to be serviced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 2:14 PM in response to danielle.shortt07

Did you already try to force restart the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again? You will not lose any data, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not work, and to make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings, without using any backup data afterwards. Set up the rest of the personal settings manually and test the phone.

If the screen works as expected, restore from the latest backup. If the problem comes back, the backup data contained corrupt data, causing your issues.

If it still does not work, this is a hardware issue and the phone has to be serviced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Jun 26, 2016 3:16 PM in response to danielle.shortt07

My iPhone 6s is only 3 months in use. I experienced the same problem yesterday. Display suddenly froze, and turned black after I press the Power button to restart the phone to no avail. I cannot Power Off the phone, because display was black. I called Siri and it replied. I even instructed Siri to call a contact and it did, but I cannot end the call because I have no display. After awhile I did the reset (pressing Home and Power buttons simultaneously for a minute) and my phone is back to life. I hope this is not a hardware problem. If this is a softwate problem, I hope Apple will provide the Fix soonest.

Oct 7, 2016 3:45 PM in response to Eowyn18

I am having the same problem. Seemed like it started immediately after I updated the IOS. Screen goes dark, indicates that I need to to charge, even when there is over 50% battery. Even when it doesn't go dark, the battery depletes rapidly and I did not have this problem before. I have heard from others that they too are having this issue, so what is the deal Apple??

iphone 6s screen keeps going black. Sounds indicate phone is still on, but requires a soft reset before I can view/use the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.