Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KEYNOTE Remote Control?

What are the options for remote control of a Keynote (6.6.1) presentation on a MacBookPro OS X 10.11.2, using an iPadMini iOS 9.2.1 ?

WiFi is not an option in this setting. I had hoped to use BlueTooth between the iPadMini and the MacBookPro, but read an (older) article saying it was not possible.

Suggestions appreciated.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 2013 AMANDA 27" iMAC

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 9:59 AM

To set up Bluetooth:

iPad settings

settings > switch Bluetooth on

Keynote > Keynote Remote > devices: select correct Mac in list

settings > turn WiFi off

Mac

System Preferences > Bluetooth set to on

Keynote preferences > remotes: enable

Keep the distance between iPad and Mac as short as possible (3 feet rather than 30 feet)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Live-n-Learn

To set up Bluetooth:

iPad settings

settings > switch Bluetooth on

Keynote > Keynote Remote > devices: select correct Mac in list

settings > turn WiFi off

Mac

System Preferences > Bluetooth set to on

Keynote preferences > remotes: enable

Keep the distance between iPad and Mac as short as possible (3 feet rather than 30 feet)

Jan 31, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you Gary for your very clear suggestion. I followed each step, and unfortunately Bluetooth DIDN'T link the iPadMini with the MacBookPro.

The article I'd cited in my question said that Bluetooth worked ONLY BETWEEN DEVICES, and not with Macs.

Looks like that's still the case.

I'd hoped that with iOS and OSX updates the linking between devices and Macs could be accomplished.

Fortunately, for my purpose, I'll be able to set up a Personal Hotspot which will work. I've already tested. Hotspot on iPhone; WiFi Settings on BOTH iPadMini and MacBook Pro: select iPhone Hotspot. The connection is good to go.

I appreciate your having responded to my question. Always more to learn.

Jan 31, 2016 11:28 AM in response to Live-n-Learn

Always more to learn.

My apologies, my learning must involve not use outdated and misleading notes that I have.

Of course Bluetooth can not pair between an iPad and a Mac, I should know better.

My preference is to use a dedicated WiFi router for use with Keynote which to create a WiFi network when Im delivering at a site where there is no WiFi available.

Jan 31, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Gary Scotland

I’m not exactly sure what “dedicated WiFi router” means — I set up a “Personal Hotspot” on my iPhone, and connected to it using WiFi settings on both the iPadMini and the MacBookPro. Testing it, it seemed fine. (It will be through my Verizon account)

Interestingly, there IS WiFi available in the university classroom where I’ll present the Keynote, BUT the school’s IT fellow recommended NOT connecting to it, because the university's WiFi network is complex, and he could not assure me that my MacBookPro and iPadMini would be connected to the “same WiFi” even though they were near one another and in the same classroom. An issue I’d not considered before.

Thanks again for your reply.

KEYNOTE Remote Control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.