Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the oldest version of iTunes on which one can update an iPod and does it run on pre-Intel Macs?

What is the oldest version of iTunes on which one can update an iPod and does it run on pre-Intel Macs?

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 8:32 PM

15 replies

Jan 29, 2016 9:13 PM in response to Warfin

What is the actual question? Are you thinking about getting a iPod (new or used), to use with an older Mac?

My PowerPC Mac with OS X Leopard (10.5.8) has iTunes 10.6.3. My PowerPC Mac with OS X Tiger (10.4.11) has iTunes 9.6.3. They are the latest iTunes for those versions of OS X, and none of the currently sold iPod models are supported. However, iPods go back all the way to 2001; a few models were around when Mac OS 9 was still supported for iTunes.

Jan 30, 2016 11:19 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you for the quick response.

The platform is a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD. One partition runs 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.3.1 (I found 10.6.3 to be slow). The other partition runs 10.4.11 and iTunes with iTunes 9.2. I have three 4th generation iPods. Two are Classics, one with a 32GB CF card. The third is a 2GB Shuffle. There is apparently an issue with Intel processors and the boards on the 4G Classics and although you can run Restore on a new drive it will not complete the process after being plugged into a wall charger (using Firewire cables of course). I use the 2GB Shuffle as a control as it does not have the same issues with Intel hardware.

iTunes on both partitions produced similar results. Both connect to the iTunes Store. Both see each of the three iPods. Selecting "Check for Updates" or "Restore" always results in this error message: "iPod software update server could not be contacted". The Terminal fix suggested by Apple was not helpful.

To rule out firewall issues, I just now restored the Shuffle on my MacBook Air using the latest version of iTunes and the same internet connection. 4th Classics work well with this system as too - update and restore work but you can't fully restore the device.

So I guess another way of putting the question is: Does Apple still support iPod Update and Restore functions on pre-Intel hardware?

Thanks again for your response.

Jan 30, 2016 1:38 PM in response to Warfin

Apple stops supporting hardware after 5 years (that's official). So basically it stopped supporting software for PPC computers roughly back in 2010. Some features of iTunes for PPC may still work with Apple services but that's more or less luck. Old iTunes will work with old iPods but if they are calling upon current Apple services such as software installers even those old iPods are likely falling off the support map if they are older than 5 years. As for the G4, Apple stopped supporting those back in 2010 and stopped supporting Tiger OS even before then.

Jan 30, 2016 5:46 PM in response to Warfin

There is apparently an issue with Intel processors and the boards on the 4G Classics...

I have a 4th gen iPod, with a 64GB CF card on an adapter. I use an Intel Mac mini with the latest OS X and lTunes. I don't have a problem with completing a Restore on that iPod.

using Firewire cables of course

If you are using FireWire to connect a 4th gen iPod to your Mac, when doing a Restore, it will not ask you connect it to a power adapter at all. It only does that if you are using USB to connect your 4th gen iPod, when doing the Restore.

But on to what appears to the the actual problem...

Selecting "Check for Updates" or "Restore" always results in this error message: "iPod software update server could not be contacted"... Does Apple still support iPod Update and Restore functions on pre-Intel hardware?

I recently did a Restore using my PowerPC Mac with Leopard on my even older 3rd gen iPod (also with 64GB CF card); I use my PowerPC Mac for that Restore because 3rd gen iPod must connect with FireWire for doing a Restore. It worked, but my iTunes is 10.6.3.

Jan 30, 2016 5:58 PM in response to Limnos

That's not necessarily true. The current version of OS X is officially supported for the 2007 iMac, and other Mac models older than 5 years. iTunes Match is officially supported back to the version of iTunes ("10.5.2 or later") that works with PowerPC Macs running Leopard. iTunes Match also works with on my iPhone 3GS (from 2009) running iOS 6.x ("iOS 5.0.1 or later"). A better statement is that Apple typically supports hardware for at least 5 years.

Also, even if something is not "officially" supported anymore, that does not mean it stops working... 🙂

Jan 30, 2016 10:17 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Vintage and obsolete products - https://support.apple.com/HT201624

Hardware can have an effective lifespan of about 10 years. Apple's OS upgrades will stretch back 5 years. Other Apple software will often but not always stretch back to OS versions about 5 years. So my G4 made in 2002 for OS9/10.0 could continue to update OS up to 10.5 which was replaced by OSX 10.6 in 2009. iTunes support for OSX 10.5 continues through to iTunes 10.6.3. Apple stopped all support for that in 2014 but iTunes 10.7 was released in 2011 so if I had bought an iPod in 2011 I could not expect it to work with my G4 since Apple typically makes i-devices require whatever iTunes version is current at the time of sale. Anyway, that's about 9 years effective lifespan as long as a person was able to update. I also kind of feel this timespan has shortened with newer computers. Certainly we just saw a spate where all owners of mid-2008 and earlier computers were cut off from iTunes 12.3 and iOS9 present on all new devices requires 12.3. That's 7 years, down from 9. Newer computers have soldered in components and cannot be upgraded as easily as older machines to meet the requirements of newer OS versions even if technically they can run it. I was given a MacBook with 2GB RAM running Mavericks and when I checked "About This Mac" it said I had about enough RAM left to run TextEdit and that's it. Fortunately I was about to upgrade and that computer is now happily running 8 years after manufacture but I don't think we will be seeing as many newer computers doing that.

However, not all software is as supportive as iTunes and Apple's official policy is hardware support for 5 years so while one often gets more time there's no guarantee that all support features will be available for that duration. It seems to me not long ago a bunch of iPad owners were fussing that a new iOS version cut off their 4 year old iPads.

Jan 30, 2016 11:33 PM in response to Limnos

That document is about hardware servicing (as in repairs). The first sentence says, "Owners of iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac products may obtain service and parts from Apple or Apple service providers for 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured." That is irrelevant for this topic.

For software, support can go in either direction. Software support is mostly based on the ability of the hardware to adequately run the software, not some arbitrary time limit. My examples in last post show examples when Apple is officially supporting hardware for MUCH longer than five years. The latest OS X officially runs on the 2007 iMac because it can. But it can be much shorter than five years too. For example, some iPhones models are sold as NEW for three years. I can still buy an iPhone 5S (released in 2013) as a new iPhone (in 2016). That does not mean the latest version of iOS in 2021 will run on an iPhone 5S, because Apple has some "official policy." It may; it may not. Apple will provide service to fix my new iPhone for at least 5 years, but that's unrelated to software support. iPhone 3G was sold as new until June 2010. The last version of iOS that supports it is 4.2.1, release in November 2010. iOS 4.3, release in March 2011, does not support iPhone 3G. That's less than one year, probably the shortest time that a new Apple computing product was supported with the latest version of OS.

Jan 31, 2016 12:11 AM in response to Warfin

For your PowerPC Mac running Leopard and iTunes 10.3.1... That error message usually means there is a server-related problem. The service may have been down at Apple's end when you tried. Have you tried again since then? NOTE: Restore may have worked on your Intel-based Mac for the shuffle, because the iPod's software package was previously downloaded, so it was not necessary to access Apple's servers this time.

4th Classics work well with this system as too - update and restore work but you can't fully restore the device.

You should be able to fully Restore using your Intel-based Mac. Is this the problem you described, where the iPod does not complete the Restore process when connected to a power adapter? Are you using an Apple power adapter? It can be USB or FireWire. However, third-party power adapters often do not work for this purpose (although normal charging works). If that final step is the problem, try this... Connect a 4th gen iPod to your Intel-based Mac and do a Restore. When the iPod's screen says to connect it to a power adapter, connect it to your PowerPC Mac using a FireWire connection instead. Since a FireWire connection does not require the connect to power adapter step during Restore, you should be able to move pasted that screen.

Jan 31, 2016 12:37 AM in response to Warfin

It's encouraging to hear someone has had success with this project (the iPod/CF card).

On that other topic, I think your choice of 32GB CF card may be a better fit for these older iPods. I occasionally have a problem, when playing the iPod, where songs start to skip continuously (current song to next song to next song...). I have to use the "sleep" command (press-hold Play/Pause button) to make it stop doing that, and work properly again (after I wake it up). I wanted 64GB so that my complete iTunes library, currently a bit over 50GB, would fit.

My current theory for cause is the amount of RAM the iPod has for operation. The iPod's software creates an index of all songs (including the song's information like name, artist, album, etc.) that it keeps in active memory, which it uses during operation. Because there are significantly more songs than expected for an originally 20GB iPod, the total song data needed for operation (sometimes) exceeds the limits of the iPod's RAM and that index becomes corrupted in some way. I may experiment, where I keep a progressively lower number of songs on iPod, to see if this problem goes away. The difficulty is that the problem occurs only occasionally (which I suppose is a good thing).

Previously, back when CF cards were much more expensive, I did testing on the setup (and adapter) using an 8GB CF card (as my "proof of concept" before buying a more expensive CF card). I actually used it that way for more than one year. I never encountered this problem.

Jan 31, 2016 4:53 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Again, thank you both for your time and effort on this.

I've been going over posts regarding this issue off and on for the last year. The project started with my Pismo. I bought the PowerBook G4 after reading a post that restore required Leopard on a pre-Intel machine. I've factored out bad cables and adapters, corrupted drives and faulty iPod hardware. I've run through the process many, many times, including again today, always with the same results. After running restore on the only machine I have that will access the update server (my MacBook Air), the CF-installed 4th iPod will not finish the process, whether plugged into a Firewire adapter or one of the Firewire ports on my PowerBook. No pre-Intel machine I own will now connect to the iPod update server. I've been working on iPods on and off for about 8 years and this is the first time I've seen this error message. Maybe I'm just lucky.

As for updating a 4thG iPod with an Intel machine, I believe I was able to run restore on an early Intel iMac, but I can't be positive. Back then I usually used my G4 tower for those tasks. The main boot partition from that machine is now mirrored onto my G4 PowerBook via Deja Vu. It would be interesting to know if iTunes actually does cache the update and restore files and if so, where the little buggers are hiding. Another avenue of inquiry might involve the difference between quad-core and i7 processors in relation to antique hardware requirements.

That said, I think the smart money is on creeping obsolescence. I'll gladly eat those words if someone can connect to the iPod server with a pre-Intel Mac - today - and successfully restore a 4thG. If it can be done with an i7 Mac, so much the better!

Feb 2, 2016 6:50 PM in response to Warfin

I have a "parts donor" iPod that is 4th gen. I put a working 15GB hard drive in it, connected it to my PowerMac G5 running Leopard and iTunes 10.6.3 (last supported version for PowerPC), using a FireWire connection. I was able to Restore it. Then, I realized iTunes probably had access to a previously downloaded iPod software package for 4th gen iPod. So I removed those files and tried Restore again. This time, iTunes clearly downloaded the iPod's software package, and proceeded to perform the Restore, which completed successfully. Because the connection was FireWire, there was no need to connect iPod to a power adapter to complete the process.

If you want to try copying the downloaded iPod software package from your Intel Mac to the PowerPC Mac running Leopard, the files are located at

[startup disk]/Users/[user account name]/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/

NOTE: In current OS X, the user's Library folder is hidden. To go there, from Finder's menu bar, Go -> Go to Folder, and enter ~/Library. Then follow rest of the path.

After completing the Restore, these were the files at that location (on my Power Mac G5). The second one may have been generated on the Mac when I performed the Restore (not something that was downloaded from Apple).

iPod_10.3.1.1.ipsw

iPod_10.3.1.1.ipsw.signature

If you can find these files (or at least the first one) on your Intel Mac and copy them to the PowerPC Mac to the same location, you may be able to perform the Restore on your 4th gen iPod without connecting to Apple to download.

the CF-installed 4th iPod will not finish the process, whether plugged into a Firewire adapter or one of the Firewire ports on my PowerBook.

It should work with your Intel Mac, and it seems like the Mac is doing its part. Perhaps it's the CF modification that is causing the problem. If you do the same thing using one of your other 4th gen iPods (that has its stock hard drive), does it still not work on that last connect to power adapter step of the Restore?

Feb 2, 2016 7:36 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

We have a winner!

Transferring the update files to the G4 allowed me to restore the iPod, however I still received an error message related to the update server. This went away when I updated to iTunes 10.6.3.

The CF iPod sat on the firewire cable on the G4 all night but the do not disconnect message never went away, even after I unplugged it. Manually restarting the iPod fixed that and I'm now loading songs off my i7 Air.

Again, thanks for the help.

It's been a hoot!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.