Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install El Capitan Update 10.11.3 (Stuck in grey screen)

I have problems to install the El Capitan update 10.11.3. Everytime I hit restart the Mac tries to shutdown and gets stuck in a dark grey screen. The mouse cursor is visible and movable. Special Keys (sound, brightness) and overlay seem to work.

What I have tried so far:

First time I waited like half an hour, then restart with power button and normal startup.

I tried to fix rights with command: sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Same problem.

I disconnected all USB devices.

Same problem.

I tried to update from safe mode.

Same problem.

So what to do next?!?

Are there any protocols and where to find them? Maybe the update file is corrupt, so how can I redownload it again? Any other ideas?

It's an iMac Mid 2011, 27", Timemachine Backups are available.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 1:23 AM

Maybe the root of the problem was not the update itself. For me it was impossible to shutdown or restart in a normal way. There was a problem maybe with a program called SoundFlower. I was not able to fully uninstall it.

I solved the problem for me by restoring a Timemachine-Backup and then applied the update.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 1:23 AM in response to ixidion

Maybe the root of the problem was not the update itself. For me it was impossible to shutdown or restart in a normal way. There was a problem maybe with a program called SoundFlower. I was not able to fully uninstall it.

I solved the problem for me by restoring a Timemachine-Backup and then applied the update.

Unable to install El Capitan Update 10.11.3 (Stuck in grey screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.