Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing not showing up in Music app

Hi,

I have home sharing set up on my Mac Mini which I use as a media server, and I have iTunes running. I can access that shared library on my macbook, no problem. But for some reason home sharing isn't showing up on my iPhone music app. I have home sharing set up on that as well. Any ideas? I have all the latest updates installed.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2017 9:30 AM

You need to use the iTunes Remote app to access home shared libraries from a device.

User uploaded file

tt2

9 replies

Mar 1, 2016 5:15 AM in response to jnyberg

If you have signed in on your iPhone or iPad to be able to use Home Sharing, but your shared library is not showing up in the Music app, then read on.

In the Music app, you need to click the red Artist link and select Home Sharing... but there is an annoying bug in the Music app; if you do not have any music transferred to your iPhone or iPad, the red Artist link is not displayed, so you cannot switch to Home Sharing.

To work around this bug, either download any purchased track to your iPhone or iPad, or copy at least one track to your iPhone or iPad from iTunes. Now the red Artist link will appear in the Music app and you will be able to select Home Sharing.

Jan 31, 2016 8:51 AM in response to jnyberg

Hi jnyberg,

The resources below explain how to set up Home Sharing on your iPhone, and what to do if you don't see your library. I've highlighted some key information for you here. Click on the links for complete details.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices

Use Home Sharing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Music, or Settings > Videos.
  2. Scroll down to Home Sharing.
  3. Tap Sign in.
  4. Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.

Now you can use Home Sharing on your iOS device:

• To enjoy shared videos, open the Videos app, tap Shared, and choose a Library.
  • To enjoy shared music on your iPhone or iPod touch through Home Sharing, open the Music app and tap My Music > Library. For iPad, just tap My Music. On the screen that appears, tap the category near the middle of the screen. Then tap Home Sharing and choose a shared Library to connect to.

User uploaded file

Get help with Home Sharing

If you use Home Sharing and don't see shared iTunes libraries on your Mac, iOS device, or Apple TV, follow these steps.

Check that you've turned on Home Sharing.

Make sure that the computer you want to share or stream content from is on and awake, and that iTunes is open. If iTunes is already open, quit and reopen it.

Check for software updates

Home Sharing for Music isn't available in iOS 8.4 and iOS 8.4.1. Update to iOS 9.

For Home Sharing, you’ll need to use the same Apple ID across all your devices

Make sure that all of your devices are connected to the same router.

Turn off your router, then turn it back on. Check the router's manual for help. If you're using an AirPort or Time Capsule, check for firmware updates. If you're using a different router, contact the manufacturer for help.

Check settings for ports and firewalls

1. If you're using a Mac, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and select Firewall. If your firewall is blocking all incoming connections or allowing only essential services, click Firewall Options and edit your settings.
  2. If you're using a PC, or you have another firewall set up on your computer or router, make sure TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5342 aren't closed or blocked. Get help with third-party security software.
  3. Try to stream your shared iTunes content from a different computer, or to a different device.
  4. Try to connect your devices to a different home network.
  5. Contact your Internet service provider or router manufacturer for help.

User uploaded file

Take care,

Feb 20, 2016 10:50 AM in response to Teiws

Really close to being helpful. Didn't quite get it done however.

For those folks like me, who may be a little dense. Here's the missing information.

On an iPhone, start the Music app. Select 'My Music' at the bottom left of the screen. Then make sure you have scrolled to the top of the music list that shows on screen (assuming you have any music on the iPhone). In the center of the screen in red is the word "Songs". Select this and you will see several options for ordering your music (such as by artists, albums, songs, etc.). At the bottom of this list is 'Homesharing'. Select this to select your shared library!

On the iPad, the only trick is to realize that when you were told to tap the category in the middle of the screen, they meant the category in the middle of the screen at the very top! As with the iPhone, the word is in red such as Artists, Albums, Songs, etc.

GMH

Home sharing not showing up in Music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.