Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't my iCloud photos library space decreasing?

Hi -

I've backed up my Photos library to iCloud Photos Library. The library is large, but the amount of space shown as 'used' is not nearly as high as the library. I am 95% sure though that I have in fact uploaded my library entirely. Can anybody help?

Thanks so much!

iCloud-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), iCloud Photo Library

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 6:37 AM

1 reply

Jan 30, 2016 8:09 AM in response to dweiskopf

Your iCloud Photo Library is storing the original image files, but the Photos Library on your Mac does store additional support files for browsing and sharing, for example the faces thumbnails, thumbnails of all photos, previews of the edited versions to be shared with the Media browser. It is to be expected that the library in iCloud will be significantly smaller.

For example, my library in iCloud is currently showing 131 GB, and the library locally on my Mac has a size of 173 GB.

But check, if you have any items in your library that cannot upload to iCloud at all. It could be items in an unsupported format (PICT files, or videos with an unsupported codec). And if you imported photos as referenced, they will also not upload to iCloud.

You can test this with a smart album:

File > New Smart Album

and add a constraint: Any item

• Photo is referenced
  • Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library.

User uploaded file

Why isn't my iCloud photos library space decreasing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.