Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on Mac doesn't see Android phones

How come I can not receive a text from an Android phone from my Mac?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 8 Gigs Ram

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 8:23 AM

Because it's not a phone. In order to get SMS MMS messages on a Mac or iPad, you need an iPhone and you have to enabled Text Message Forwarding in Settings>Messages on the phone and linked it to your Mac and iPad.

11 replies

Feb 5, 2016 4:55 AM in response to sberman

This is what solved my problem which came from another thread I posted.

Set up SMS and MMS with Continuity

1. You need iOS 8 or later on your iOS devices and OS X Yosemite or later on your Mac.
  2. Sign in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac.
  3. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and enable the device or devices that you want to forward messages to.
  4. Look for a code on the Mac, iPad, or iPod touch that you enabled. Then enter this verification code on your iPhone.

Make sure that your email address is checked everywhere.

Nov 28, 2016 5:48 AM in response to Rod LoScalzo

Hi, actually the Android Phones runs on the "Google's Android" Operating System and on the other hand, the Apple runs on the IOS and the Apple's Macbooks runs on the Mac Operating System. So, there's a huge difference between these two operating system and both of them doesn't support each other's functionality.

You can check difference between them in this article.

http://itsdiscovery.com/android-vs-ios-which-one-is-better-and-why/

iMessage on Mac doesn't see Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.