Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help restoring an ipod touch with a forgotten lock code.

Hello. I recently bought a 6th generation ipod touch from someone who didn't remember the lock code. There is no way of getting into the ipod at this point. I watched videos saying that you can restore it by hooking the ipod up to a computer on itunes. I did so, and itunes doesn't show the ipod. It had said something along the lines of, "Itunes cannot open the ipod. The software needed for it isn't installed. Uninstall itunes and reinstall it." I had uninstalled about 5 different things maybe three or four different tries with no luck. The same message appears saying that the software doesn't support the ipod. I have a windows 8 Asus laptop. I followed the directions for windows 8. If anyone knows how to fix the problem on the laptop, or even how to restore the phone without a computer, please let me know. I can be reached on here, or text 1-424-282-5136. Thank you to anyone who at least tries to help or takes the time to read this. I'm very appreciative.

iPod touch

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 10:06 AM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2016 10:13 AM in response to courtneyposey121

What version of iTunes is on the iPod?

You need 12.3 or later

Also:

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

To restore from backup see:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

As necessary:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

- New cable and different USB port

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes - ASC

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Further, in order for you to use the iPod the previous owner has to:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock

Need help restoring an ipod touch with a forgotten lock code.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.