Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamped Windows 10 no longer working after connecting to wifi.

Bootcamped windows 10 no longer works. Worked great for two months; now stuck in an endless boot loop. Tried removing partition and re-installing fresh 4 times now, with a new ISO file. It installs and works fine until I connect to wifi. It will sit pretty and work fine for hours, but after 6 mins of connecting to wifi it shuts down and starts the boot loop, making it unusable again. The 6 mins has been consistent. I can let the newly installed windows 10 work without wifi seemingly indefinitely, but within 6 mins of connecting to my wifi it breaks.

I am using an iMac late 2013 and El Capitan (most up to date version).

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 11:22 AM

17 replies

Jan 31, 2016 9:37 AM in response to Loner T

ok i have found out its not a wifi problem,

its the intel iris 6200 driver. windows update try to update the iris driver

ive changed to standard windows display driver and i can start windows again.

my 27" imac with ati graphic doesnt show any problem, all 7 21" imacs with iris are broken.

i have found out, later after reinstalling windows on one of my imacs,

that when i install the original newest iris intel driver it happens again.

i recovered the system and tried out the newest BETa drivers, and it happens again.

so i have to live now with the windows display driver.

at the moment i can work with the standard display drivers, but i hope son came new intel drivers that doesnt destroy my system.

is there a good tutorial how shut off the windows update to update graphic drivers?

so i could reinstall old (functioning) graphic drivers and prevent windows to update this driver till its broken.

Feb 3, 2016 10:01 AM in response to Loner T

After a fresh install of Win 10, I grabbed the graphics driver update for the Intel iris pro 5200 (which is what I also have); as outlined in the linked thread you posted. With Win 10 not connected to wifi, I tried to disable automatic updates. I 1st tried what was detailed in your linked thread: "Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services to disable Windows Update.".. However, maybe because I do not have an activated version of Win 10, (just the free non activated version that excludes certain personalization options) I did not see the option to disable the Windows update there. I did; however, follow the directions found here, under method 3: http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-heres -how/

Following the same instructions, also led me to another option "defer Windows updates", which I also did. It allows you to select that updates be deferred for up to 8 months.

I Updated my graphics driver and re-booted, and as has been happening, after 5-6 mins of connecting to wifi, win 10 crashes and begins the boot loop again.

Feb 3, 2016 2:41 PM in response to Loner T

Never mind.. I am just a blind idiot. The directions mentioned previously .. "Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services to disable Windows Update".. Are relevent, and I just didn't see it the 1st time. After disabling automatic updates the correct way, and installing the graphic driver/ rebooting.. It fixed the issue & my Windows 10 is back up and running.

...So the fix goes like this:

1) I found the graphics driver I needed for my Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics card here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/intel-iris-pro-g raphics-5200-for-4th-generation-intel-core-processors.html

I put the exe file on a flash drive for later.

2) I did a clean Bootcamp install of Windows 10, and before connecting it to the Internet I did the following:

3) Go to Control Panel/System and Security/Administrative Tools/Services/Windows Update - and select Disable from the drop down and hit apply. Ok

4) I plugged in my flash drive with the graphics driver, and dragged the drivers exe file to my desktop, then installed it.

5) Reboot

6) After rebooting I connected to the wifi & celebrated when after the usual 5-6 mins, it didn't crash, and I could use as usual

Thanks Loner T.. The link you posted helped solve an issue that has caused me almost 60 hrs of troubleshooting.

Feb 5, 2016 4:58 AM in response to spaceInBetween

Ok, I did the same. I have the same iMac (late 2013, 21.5") with the same problem. It was working fine until the the last round of W10 updates.

Have you turned Windows update back on yet? I tried after updating the intel iris 5200 driver and W10 crashed to the point I couldn't even use a restore point...had to clean install for about the 5th time. What a mess!

Bootcamped Windows 10 no longer working after connecting to wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.