Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Mail Notification Sounds

I have three separate email accounts for different family members.

Is there a way to have separate email notification sounds for each account.

If not, is there an app that could provide the different sounds.

Thanks,

Don

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 11:13 AM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2016 2:31 PM in response to Don Jusiak

Hi Don,

I think it can be done by making Mail>Rule... If To: contains> Certain User, then perform the following functions> Run AppleScript, And an AppleScript that plays a sound or even speaks a Name.

There is also in perform the following functions a choice of play sound & you can choose any of the system sounds.

Jan 30, 2016 2:49 PM in response to Don Jusiak

I can confirm BOTH of BDAqua's methods in MS Entourage 2008... I haven't ever used Apple Mail as I got started way back when with Entourage

The AppleScript method is pretty tedious as you have to edit ready made scripts very carefully for Path/Filename for each sound AND it May also require a 3rd party "sound" player

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/customize-sound-sets-in-microsoft-entour age.php

*I am just guessing that these would function the same in AppleMail - it is just calling on AppleScript to do the deed

Jan 30, 2016 9:25 PM in response to Don Jusiak

Turn OFF the sound for incoming mail in Prefs - then only the Rule sound will play

The link I posted has sample script for MS Entourage - here is how I would modify it for Apple Mail

1. download Play Sound, a really simple sound player for Mac OS X. After downloading this, install it by double-clicking on the disk image and dragging Play Sound to your Applications folder.
  2. create a folder in Applications named "MailSounds" (this should make it appear directly below the Mail App itself)
  3. copy sounds to it - AIFF or MP3 that you want to play - name them whatever is convenient for you
    1. PapaBear.mp3
    2. MamaBear.mp3
    3. Goldilocks.mp3
  4. open up Script Editor (in Applications/AppleScript) and paste the following script:

set soundAlias to "Macintosh HD:Applications:MailSounds:PapaBear.mp3" as aliastell application "Play Sound"
    play (soundAlias as alias)
    end tell

5. Modify the sample script to use the 3 filenames and Save AS each to MailSounds folder with the filename of the soundfile as the script filename (this will show the associated files together in the folder)
  6. In Mail > Rules - choose "Run AppleScript" from the Action pop-up menu for ONE email account. Choose your script and click OK to save the rule
  7. TEST
  8. Repeat Rule making for each family member.

*SYNTAX is VERY important - a single character or space error will throw a wrench in the works

If you run into trouble, take screenshots of your rule dialog - Command + SHIFT > 4 > SPACEBAR (cursor will turn into a camera) and post here

Multiple Mail Notification Sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.