Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Location Inaccurate - iPhone 6

Hello All,

Over the past few weeks I have had problems with the GPS on my iPhone 6. It seemed to start when my Verizon carrier sent their latest carrier update. Coincidentally, this was just before the latest iOS update to 9.2.1.

I had issues immediately after the Verizon carrier update. I updated the iOS to 9.2.1 and still no improvement

The specific issue is inaccuracy of location while on GPS (no Wi-Fi) and also lagging in keeping up while on GPS such using Apple Maps or Google Maps. When I'm not on Wi-Fi the GPS is about 500 feet to 1000 feet off. As soon as I connect to Wi-Fi it is immediately accurate. I noticed if I start a route with Apple or Google Maps on Wi-Fi and drive the route (no Wi-Fi) it loses my location and lags far behind. It updates about every 10 minutes, but it is off by 500 to 1000 feet. If I stray from my route it won't self correct the route.

I went through the regular troubleshooting steps including, but not limited to:

• Hard reset
  • Reset network settings
  • Reset location and privacy settings
  • Reset all settings in my phone and did a clean install

None of these steps worked. Another coincidence is I lost the ability to backup my phone to iCloud at the same time the GPS location became inaccurate. I was finally able to resolve the iCloud backup issue through several iterations of deleting and syncing photos. At this point I'm at a loss on the GPS issue, but possibly believe it may be SIM card related. I'm reaching out to Verizon about this as well.

Any other ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, Verizon Carrier Settings Update

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 10:28 AM

Nothing will work I tried changing the sim with a T-Mobile one. Nada.

It's a software problem. The only solutions they will provide is either 299$ or a new one at full price. They dont care to know what's going on even tough a lot of people are having the same issue. Greedy apple.

23 replies

Jun 17, 2017 10:29 AM in response to JoeBlow1

GPS problems started since i updated to iOS 10.3.2. Wifi & cell signal seems to be weaker . tried everything.

1.Removing maps & reinstalling it.

2.Playing with location settings ( routing & traffic - compass calibration . etc..)

3.Using another sim card

4.LASTLY, hard reset (complete erase & setup as new iPhone) .

still ... problem not solved.

one thing I realised was when I was on wifi (not connected) , 'GPS Status" app shows that the connection was better around 60++ horizontal fix (poor though). but when i was on mobile data the app shows that i'm at least at 1414m - 2000m poor gps fix. some stated that this problem only occured on iPhone 6 . but some of my friends using the same phone as me doesnt seems to have any problems with GPS . I tried using their phone & their GPS locked in immediately.

i think we have 2 options left .

1. wait for a iOS fix

2. hardwares changes (Flex Cable / GPS module / Cell Module)

Jan 30, 2016 3:35 PM in response to JoeBlow1

Sorry, too late to edit my initial post. I wanted to provide the carrier information I found in my iPhone. Hopefully this helps.

Also, the carrier settings update on my phone happened when I was traveling (not in my home location, but in the US). I'm not sure if that matters.

Verizon: 23.2

PRL: 15428

ERI: 8

NAI: mymobilenumber@vzims.com

MSID: ##########

IMS Status: Voice & SMS

Jan 31, 2016 6:11 PM in response to JoeBlow1

Hi there, I am having the same issues. I visited the Apple Store today in hopes of a solution and I was told to reset all my settings and if that did not work, then I needed to do a complete factory reset. None of these steps solved the problem. However, in Google searches it seems that we are not the only one running into this GPS issue, especially after upgrading to 9.2.1. The Genius Bar associate suggesting buying a new phone today and thank goodness I did not, because I could be out $300 right now when clearly this is a software issue.

Feb 2, 2016 10:58 AM in response to JoeBlow1

From what I've read on another thread there is no fix for this issue. Someone said that the only fix is a to purchase a new phone. That seems like a convenient and profitable "fix" for Apple, but not such a good thing for those of us with a phone that is more than a year old without functioning navigation Apple should really look into doing something about this issue!

Feb 2, 2016 11:01 AM in response to double dizzle

You might want to check with Verizon. I've seen a couple of other posts regarding issues with GPS and Verizon devices. Seems Verizon may have some information. If there is a hardware issue with a device in warranty, Apple will determine what to do. If the device is out of warranty, you would still have the chance to get an out of warranty device at a significant discount from a new device. That would be the case for any out of warranty issue.

Feb 2, 2016 11:15 AM in response to JoeBlow1

Are you saying that you have WiFi turned off? If so, turn it back on. Your phone relies on not only GPS but also WiFi and cellular signals for accuracy in location services. That is expected behavior. You don't need to be connected to a specific network, you just need to have the feature turned on.

If you're saying that, even with WiFi turned on (but not connected), your location is off by that much, I'd guess hardware problem.

Feb 2, 2016 7:07 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

NO, what I am saying is the location is completely accurate when I am linked to a wifi network. When I am on cellular only the location is inaccurate and lags far behind when I am using any sort of map app.

Regardless..wifi ha no bearing on location when you are not connected to a network. Not a hardware problem as the issue only started after a carrier update from Verizon. Everything at this point indicates a Verizon problem which I'm following up with them on the issue. If they have a solution I will reply to this thread.

Feb 19, 2016 7:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Experiencing the exact same issues, though with AT&T. Occurring exclusively since last iOS update. Location in maps (Apple and Google) can't keep up with my movement and is chronically off by several hundred feet. Spoke with Apple Support and got the same basic response, "we've done everything we can, you need a new phone, your year and a half old iPhone 6 isn't covered for any repairs".

Glad I didn't take there advice.

GPS Location Inaccurate - iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.