Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bought a new Imac 21 and want to know how to set up and transfer files from old imac

I just purchased a new 21" imac running El Capitan operating system. I would like to plug it in and get started but would like to migrate some files from my old imac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I am new to this procedure and would like some help to do this. I watched a couple of videos but am not sure what to do regarding removing some things from old imac before I start. Do I remove files from finder, I am not sure about emails, contacts and all that kind of stuff. Could someone suggest a good tutorial to help me out.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 8:58 PM

Get an external drive you can connect to your old computer via USB. Clone the old computer's drive to the external drive:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

You now have a backup of the old computer. Move the external drive to a USB port on the new computer where you restore files at your leisure, manually. If you want to migrate your entire user account (Home folder), etc. then you can use Migration Assistant to migrate the data from the external disk drive.

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

OS X- Manually migrating data from another Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2016 8:58 PM in response to edward fromoliver

Get an external drive you can connect to your old computer via USB. Clone the old computer's drive to the external drive:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

You now have a backup of the old computer. Move the external drive to a USB port on the new computer where you restore files at your leisure, manually. If you want to migrate your entire user account (Home folder), etc. then you can use Migration Assistant to migrate the data from the external disk drive.

OS X- Manually migrating data from another Mac

bought a new Imac 21 and want to know how to set up and transfer files from old imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.