Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with direct connect to modem

ok at first i was having trouble even connecting with airport utility but did a factory reset and seem to be able to connect through my ipod still no real luck on my windows pc. I am currently using d-link dcm 301 modem for my time warner cable internet and my old router that i was hoping to replace is an almond. My internet currently works with my almond router but when i switch the ethernet plug over to the apple router it will not connect to the internet at all. i have tried resetting the airport router and my cable modem but nothing changes still will not connect to internet although it does broadcast the wifi signal. i currently have it setup so that the direct connection to my modem is on my almond router and i have a second ethernet cable from the almond to the airport extreme. the airport extreme will connect to the internet and i can even use the wireless with all my devices on the airport extreme this way. i can't figure out why when i try to change the ethernet plug to just the modem it can longer set up the internet. i only wish to use the airport extreme as i have no need for 2 routers right now.

ipod touch and windows 10 pc

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 7:31 PM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2016 6:41 AM in response to NikkiSIxx311

Did you completely reset the modem by powering it off for at least 60 minutes before you tried to set up the AirPort router?

If not, please try the following:

Power off the modem by pulling the power cable from the back of the device or pulling the power supply from the AC wall jack

Disconnect the co-ax connector

Disconnect the Ethernet cable

Leave the modem powered off for at least 60 minutes.....120 would be better

During the time that the modem is powered off, perform a hard reset on the AirPort router

Then, power it off

After the modem has been powered down at least 60 minutes......

Connect the co-ac connector to the modem

Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AiPort router

Power up the modem and let it run for 15 minutes

Then, power up the AirPort and set it up again

problems with direct connect to modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.