Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Unlocker Removal for Mac and iPhones

Hi All,

I am using a Late 2009 iMac running Yosemite, a 2012 Macbook pro running El Capitan and iPhone 6plus - all are affected by the above mentioned adware.

I've been digging some how to remove's in the internet, replaced and tried the DNS server using google DNS to test, follow the instructions on removing extensions, etc. from another forum sites but still to no avail, cannot remove this persistent DNS unlocker (an adware that keeps on popping up on site, even replacing the sites to redirect to ads landing page...

Can anybody help. pls?

Michael

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 9:50 PM

20 replies

Feb 1, 2016 3:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the reply Linc Davis.

Pls correct me if I am wrong regarding the steps I made.

I went to System Pref>Network>advanced>DNS - the DNS server - is greyed out so I cannot remove it.

I went to terminal and keyed this in <sudo networksetup -setdnsservers Wi-Fi 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4> (without the brackets)...went back to network settings and the DNS servers became 8.8.8.8 with 8.8.4.4. I restart my mac afterwards and still to no avail, the pop-up appeared on the website that I know it frequently appeared...

Feb 4, 2016 10:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis,

It is. Basically the network is affected. Sorry I didn't mentioned it here because I thought it is inappropriate.

PCs are seldom used and the unlocker still appears even when they are off.

Not sure of this but on the same affected site (not all sites I visited are affected), I noticed that there is a 'maximum number of appearance' -after I quit the site (probably 3 times) the ad disappears...

Feb 5, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Anduri1

How to remove DNS Unlocker Ads (Virus Removal Guide)

This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove “Ads by DNS Unlocker” virus from your computer, and any other adware program that may have been installed during the setup process.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall DNS Unlocker from Windows
STEP 2: Remove “Ads by DNS Unlocker” adware with AdwCleaner

>>>>>>>>>> STEP 3: Remove “Ads by DNS Unlocker” virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free <<<<<<<<<

STEP 4: Double-check for the “Ads by DNS Unlocker” malware with HitmanPro
(Optional) STEP 5: Reset Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome settings to remove DNS Unlocker Ads

If you are using an Apple Mac OS X operating system, please follow this Remove virus from Apple Mac OS X (Pop-up Ads and Adware) guide to remove DNS Unlocker adware.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/ads-by-dns-unlocker-removal/ (source)

Feb 5, 2016 12:26 PM in response to Anduri1

DNS Unlocker pop-ups are almost always the result of hacked network hardware. Most likely, either your router or your modem have been remotely hacked or infected.

Try disconnecting the router and connecting a computer directly, via Ethernet wire, to the modem. Does it still suffer the same problem? If so, the modem is the cause of the problem. If not, it's the router.

If the modem is causing the problem, you'll probably have to contact your internet service provider (ISP), unless you have bought your own modem. Your ISP may also be able to help with a modem you own.

If the problem is with your router (which I assume you own), you'll need to contact the manufacturer of that router for advice on fixing it. For some routers, a reset is all that is necessary, while for others the fix may be more involved. If it's a really old router, consider replacing it with something newer.

Feb 5, 2016 2:00 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

Thanks Thomas... what's with #3 in the article I found? [letter to the editor time?]

That's Windows-related stuff. I'm not sure whether there is actual DNS Unlocker malware for Windows, or if that page just is giving generic advice that may not actually be specific to this issue. I've always suspected that malwaretips.com is just click-farming, with pages on all the various malware and adware out there giving almost identical advice.

DNS Unlocker Removal for Mac and iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.