Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus ?

I got a virus found pop up from this site whilst on another site - should I be worried - what actions should I take

<Link Edited by Host>

Mac Pro, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 2:08 AM

Ignore it. Any pop-up whatsoever that claims you have a virus (or that your Apple ID has been or will be locked) is a scam, attempting to trick you into entering your password and ID so that they can steal from you, or to sell you expensive and completely useless (and quite likely malicious) software. Never ever follow up any links or phone numbers in this sort of thing. You don't have a virus: no-one could detect one remotely even if there were any affecting Macs. If you can't get rid of the pop up force-quit Safari and restart it with the shift key held down.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 2:08 AM in response to Icicle2107

Ignore it. Any pop-up whatsoever that claims you have a virus (or that your Apple ID has been or will be locked) is a scam, attempting to trick you into entering your password and ID so that they can steal from you, or to sell you expensive and completely useless (and quite likely malicious) software. Never ever follow up any links or phone numbers in this sort of thing. You don't have a virus: no-one could detect one remotely even if there were any affecting Macs. If you can't get rid of the pop up force-quit Safari and restart it with the shift key held down.

Feb 13, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Icicle2107

Please read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

If that describes the web page you encountered, and you successfully navigated away from that web page, then no other actions are necessary or justified.

To reiterate:

- should I be worried

No.

- what actions should I take

None. Acting upon any information appearing in the fraudulent pop-up is what leads to trouble. Whatever it said doesn't matter, because it is an attempt to defraud you one way or another.

Virus ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.