Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subroutine jumps which RETURN from hyperlinks

I asked this long ago. At that time there was no satisfactory answer. I therefore pose the question again.

In Keynote, hyperlinks to other presentations (or other parts of the same presentation) are ABSOLUTE jumps not SUBROUTINE jumps. Subroutine jumps remember where they came from and RETURN. This is a HUGE advantage. It means you can construct a presentation from MODULES each containing, say, half a dozen slides. Different lectures can then be constructed by stringing hyperlinks together. Standard good programming practice. There is enormous saving of disk space, because many lectures duplicate slides from other lectures. Ideally a new lecture could be constructed as nothing but a list of hyperlinks, each hyperlink pointing to a pre-stored module. This sensible way of assembling a presentation is IMPOSSIBLE if hyperlinks are absolute jumps. Modules have to remember where they came from, otherwise you are left dangling at the end of the module with no way of returning to the main drag. Notoriously bad programming practice, which is why some computer science gurus advocate BANNING absolute jumps!

What I am suggesting is available in Powerpoint and it is the ONLY reason I am tempted to return to Powerpoint. The Nobel-prizewinning scientist Sir Harry Kroto assembles his presentations entirely by this modular method using POWERPOINT.

If this can already be done in the latest version of Keynote I shall be delighted. If not, how should I pass on the suggestion to those in charge of future developments? The difficult programming work w.r.t. hyperlinks has already been done. It should be trivial to add to hyperlinks a memory of where they came from.

Thank you

Richard Dawkins

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 4:04 AM

20 replies

Jan 31, 2016 4:38 AM in response to Richard Dawkins1

Dear Richard,

On the 26/11/2015. I emailed her the letter which she then told me she forwarded to you !
It would be an absolute privilege if you do read it .

Sorry for contaminating this question of yours with something that isn't relevant.
Cant wait to see you in Sydney 🙂

Thank you for all your efforts, greatly appreciated !!

Regards,

Erfan

Jan 31, 2016 5:08 AM in response to Richard Dawkins1

Keynote, hyperlinks to other presentations

Version 6 series of Keynote including the latest version 6.6.1 specifically does not allow linking to other Kenote files, to other project files e.g. a Pages document or to any other application.

Version 5.3 did allow linking to other Keynote version 5.3 files. Version 5.3 will still run in Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.

This sensible way of assembling a presentation is IMPOSSIBLE if hyperlinks are absolute jumps.

No, all thats required is the inclusion of a return button set to link to a specific slide.

What I am suggesting is available in Powerpoint

PowerPoint has a different set of tools to Keynote and it has a different set of users.

One is a paid for application, the other is free with a Mac.

If you require functionality out with the toolset of Keynote, there are many applications available from third party developers, Adobe being one.

how should I pass on the suggestion to those in charge of future developments?

Click this link to go to the Apple feedback website: Keynote Feedback

It should be trivial to add to hyperlinks a memory of where they came from.

It may be theoretically possible to introduce other forms of linking, but Apple has a different strategy from other software developers.

Jan 31, 2016 12:59 PM in response to Gary Scotland

No, that isn't what he's asking for though, to put it in an analogy, imagine a presentation where every word is a clickable hyperlink to its definition, and that the same word is repeated over many slides, just using a return button to the slide you think it would logically come from will result in ending up on the wrong slide after returning, you can duplicate the definitions, but that makes the presentation files massive, or what he's asking for, which is the ability to add like a last slide hyperlink.

Such a hyperlink is, to my knowledge, impossible in keynote. Though I wonder what happens if you open a powerpoint presentation with them in keynote? It may be possible that such a jump is possible in some compatibility mode, so I will try doing that, and see if it is in fact a workaround.

Feb 1, 2016 3:07 AM in response to Richard Dawkins1

Hi Richard.

I can't help with your inquiry, as it is a feature request for the Apple Keynote team. However I maybe can be of service in another matter pertaining to your question:

In my experience it is never very helpful to explain someone vastly more qualified at the subject matter about how easy a task is, that you want them to perform. Yes, hyperlinks exist and programming has dealt with them for a few decades now. Your assumption that "the hard work is done" however shows that you seem to have relatively low knowledge of modern programming, application frameworks or user interface design. Explaining your idea for a feature is always appreciated by application designers. Telling them that their job is easy and they seem to be incompetent at it isn't. I know, ranting about muslims, feminists or kids building clocks is not as easy as it looks either, so you might be able to empathise.

Cheers.

Feb 1, 2016 3:19 AM in response to PhonicCanine

just using a return button to the slide you think it would logically come from will result in ending up on the wrong slide after returning

It will not link to the wrong slide if the link is set correctly;

if slide 208 is plying and it has a link to slide 25, clicking the linked object will display slide 25.

you can duplicate the definitions, but that makes the presentation files massive, or what he's asking for,

There is no need to duplicate any slides in a linked presentation, linked objects do actually work correctly in Keynote

the ability to add like a last slide hyperlink. Such a hyperlink is, to my knowledge, impossible in keynote.

Then millions of users have been achieving the impossible by doing that very thing:

Link to last slide viewed:

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2016 3:25 AM in response to robbiebone

robbiebone wrote:

If you pay £79 you can have an apple developer account and submit a 'bug report' to Apple. It's not just for bugs. You can also submit new feature requests or enhancements.

Anyone with an Apple ID (which is free) can submit a feedback request, as I suggested previously,

the feedback webpage for Keynote is here: Keynote Feedback

An Apple developer account is for those who are creating third party applications which will allow them to obtain services and tools to help in developing there applications.

Subroutine jumps which RETURN from hyperlinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.