Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use RAM from a broken computer?

Hey, My mother has the same exact laptop as me which is the Mid-2012 Macbook Pro. 13 Inches, basic specs. Her computer was getting slow so we bought new RAM for it and changed it. It worked for a little but then down the line her computer completely broke. However I only have 4GB of RAM in my computer and her broken one has 8GB so can I take the RAM from her computer and put it into mine? Or will it damage my computer? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 7:11 AM

You provide no information on how "her computer completely broke." If you provide more details then we can probably provide better advice.

• If the RAM caused her MacBook Pro to fail then putting it in your MacBook Pro is not a good idea.
  • If the RAM is faulty, putting it in your MacBook Pro is not a good idea.
  • If the RAM is not the cause of her MacBook Pro's failure and was not damaged by her MacBook Pro's failure then it should be OK to use.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 7:11 AM in response to NantucketV

You provide no information on how "her computer completely broke." If you provide more details then we can probably provide better advice.

• If the RAM caused her MacBook Pro to fail then putting it in your MacBook Pro is not a good idea.
  • If the RAM is faulty, putting it in your MacBook Pro is not a good idea.
  • If the RAM is not the cause of her MacBook Pro's failure and was not damaged by her MacBook Pro's failure then it should be OK to use.

Feb 7, 2016 12:55 PM in response to Duane

Ok, Ill provide more information to be safe. One day her computer just wouldent start up. She kept trying but it wouldent start up. When she tried later it worked but then turned back off after being used for about 10 minutes. Now about 5% of the time you try to turn it on it will actaully work. So we ordered new RAM to see if that would help. We put it in and it worked right away but then once again, turned back off after being used a little.

Feb 7, 2016 1:04 PM in response to NantucketV

How exactly did it not work? What did you see? What was the sequence of events? Error messages? It could be the RAM (sometimes you see a bunch of text on the screen), it could be the battery, it could be the hard drive, it could be something else. So far it is like you going to a doctor and saying you do not feel well but are not providing enough information for the doctor to tell if you have a broken leg or a cold.

Feb 14, 2016 7:10 PM in response to NantucketV

Oh really? It can be replaced and will fix the computer?

Only if that is the issue. Have you tested the drive?

But if the hard drive failed then wont all the files be gone?

If the drive is failing, there may still be time to transfer your files to an external backup drive. If the drive had completely failed, you wouldn't be able to boot from it at all. It's also sounding like you don't have a backup. If you don't have one, you are risking the loss of your data.

Can I use RAM from a broken computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.