Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac late 2014 fusion drive partition map damaged

some time ago I was about to create a new partition on my brand new iMac 27", late 2014, Retina, with a fusion drive consisting of a 120GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD by means of this **** new Disk Utility.

Disk Utility freezed in the middle of the process and from this moment the following happened:

The new partition was showing up as the only part of the whole fusion drive, that is, not the whole HDD was mounting, but only the newly created partition.

No matter what repair tools, no matter what start volume.

Any attempt to repair the drive with this useless Disk Utility failed as well as with other apps.

Any attempt to find advice for applying a valid terminal command failed

Whereas I was extremely successful to retrieve any number of posts on the Web that complained about the same effect of this **** Disk Utility.

(Likewise nothing but difficulties with this braindead SIP, Apple driving me increasingly nuts, I'm just plain angry !!)

Is anybody able to refer to a solution of this inacceptable state ?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2017 11:07 PM

4. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online.

Please explain where is The "OS X Utilities Screen"?

I'm running Sierra ver 10.12.4. I've lost my Fusion Drive and would like to recover it. I have the iMac 27" 2014 w/Retina Display. Help would be appreciated Thank you!

10 replies

Apr 27, 2017 11:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

4. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online.

Please explain where is The "OS X Utilities Screen"? I have looked everywhere for anything Labeled "OS X Utilities Screen". ...If it's labeled differently then say what it is not what you think it is? e.g. ...go to the Utilities Screen in this or that app or whatever it is...not just say OS X Utilities Screen..this tells me nothing! Now I have to wait a month if ever to get an answer. DETAIL ..a good teacher is one who can take something complex and explain it so that an idiot could understand it..and I'm that idiot!!!! But I understand nothing as to what you're saying. Detail it will you please?

I'm running Sierra ver 10.12.4. I've lost my Fusion Drive and would like to recover it. I have the iMac 27" 2014 w/Retina Display. Help would be appreciated Thank you! Another example; Does X mean any OS or is it Like someone would sign their name if they didn't know how to write?

Apr 28, 2017 5:12 AM in response to HighNoon_USA

Restart using Internet Recovery holding Command, Option, R. Hold these keys until you see a spinning world globe icon. Internet Recovery will take about ten minutes or so to finish loading. Choose Disk Utility. If your Fusion Drive is broken it will appear in Red in the sidebar on the left. Click on the Fusion Drive, then Repair. It will say something to the effect that a disk is missing and offer to "Fix". Caution here: "Fix" will repair the Fusion Drive by recombining the SSD with the HHD, to make a Virtual Whole Disk. The problem here is that everything on those disks will be erased. If you have a Time Machine backup you will be able to restore from it. If not you will have to reinstall macOS.

I have the same model and year iMac you have, and I had to do this about two years ago. Good Luck.

Jan 31, 2016 9:09 AM in response to rainer.imap1

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Feb 1, 2016 2:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis, so far many thanks and here is the output:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 121.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 140.8 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS McR +256.0 GB disk2

Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2

5ACE4623-F5C0-440D-93BC-6C524EE3211B

Unencrypted Fusion Drive

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk3

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS USB_3TB_Main_CCC 56.0 GB disk3s2

3: Apple_HFS USB_3TB_AV 100.0 GB disk3s3

4: Apple_HFS USB_3TB_Apps 100.0 GB disk3s4

5: Apple_HFS USB_3TB_Arch 2.4 TB disk3s5

6: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk3s6

7: Apple_HFS USB_3TB_ElCap_new 322.0 GB disk3s7

8: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk3s8

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group FDA2F160-029C-4583-8920-1AB85E2DF5C5

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 261828202496 B (261.8 GB)

Free Space: 77824 B (77.8 KB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 51306DB3-9387-4185-81D6-0AE083895B9D

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 24A18094-C3F0-4E54-86D5-58D459F2D4C4

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 1

| Disk: disk1s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 140839350272 B (140.8 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 0F001F08-00EC-4C4D-B732-BBFB029891A3

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: None

|

+-> Logical Volume 5ACE4623-F5C0-440D-93BC-6C524EE3211B

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk2

Size (Total): 255972868096 B (256.0 GB)

Revertible: No

LV Name: McR

Volume Name: McR

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

LVG Type: Fusion, Sparse

If I understood correctly what you're intending to do next, is to insert the relevant info into a new terminal command in order to reformat the whole disk, no matter what is contained (I was forced to use a clone volume on an external HDD as temporary startup drive and therefore created another clone volume of it - so, there is no prob deleting/reformatting the whole Fusion drive)

Many thanks so far and looking forward to a final solution

Feb 17, 2016 7:49 AM in response to rainer.imap1

Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this condition. Please read this whole message before doing anything. If you don't feel confident that you can follow the instructions, get someone more experienced to help you. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

This procedure applies only to an iMac or Mac mini with a factory-installed Fusion Drive. If either of the internal drives (an SSD and a hard drive) has been replaced with an aftermarket drive, ask for other instructions.

You'll need to refer to these instructions while no web browser is running, so either print them or load them on another device before you begin.

1. All data on the internal drives will be removed, including Boot Camp data, which is not backed up by Time Machine. You need at least two complete, independent backups. One backup is not enough to be safe. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. You'll need to start up from a Recovery system other than the one on the internal hard drive (if it has one.) There are several ways to do that.

a. If you have a local Time Machine backup (not a network backup), or a compatible installation of OS X on an external drive, then you should be able to start from it by holding down the option key at the startup chime. Select the external drive in the row of icons that appears. By "compatible," I mean an installation that can run on the machine. A version of OS X that is older than the machine is not compatible.

b. If you used Recovery Disk Assistant (or can use it now) to prepare a Recovery system on a USB flash drive, you can start from that by holding down the C key at the chime. No icons will appear. Startup will be much slower than usual.

c. Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe. Select a language, if prompted.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use the network features of Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

4. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks or history, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

5. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

diskutil cs deleteLVG `diskutil cs list | awk 'NR==3{print $NF}'`

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Quit Safari. You'll be returned to the OS X Utilities screen.

6. From the menu bar, select

Utilities Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear. If nothing happens, press the return key.

Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

What happens next depends on what version of Recovery you're running.

☞ If the machine came with OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), 10.9 ("Mavericks"), or 10.8 ("Mountain Lion"), and you're in Internet Recovery, please take Step 7a and skip Step 7b.

☞ Otherwise, skip Step 7a and go to Step 7b.

If you don't know what version of OS X the machine came with, look it up on this page.

After taking whichever of those steps is applicable, you should have an empty Fusion Drive named "Macintosh HD" on which you can carry out either Step 8a or Step 8b.

7a. Repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.) Quit Disk Utility.

7b. Enter the command below as in Steps 4-6:

N=Macintosh\ HD; for d in /dev/disk?; do o=`diskutil info $d`; [[ ! "$SSD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE SSD' <<< "$o" && SSD=$d; [[ ! "$HDD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE HDD' <<< "$o" && HDD=$d; [[ "$SSD" && "$HDD" ]] && break; done; diskutil cs create "$N" $SSD $HDD && diskutil cs createLV "$N" jhfs+ "$N" 100%

This is a very long line, and you may not see all of it on the web page. Be sure to select the whole line, not just the part you can see.

Quit Terminal.

8a. If you have a Time Machine backup, connect the backup device and restore your data. If you backed up to a network device such as a Time Capsule, it should be connected automatically.

8b. If you don't have a Time Machine backup, or if you can't restore from the Time Machine backup that you do have, install OS X. Restore the data afterwards in Migration Assistant.

In Internet Recovery mode, you'll be installing the original version of OS X that shipped with the machine. If you've upgraded the OS in the App Store, you'll need to do that again.

Feb 17, 2016 7:43 AM in response to rainer.imap1

Linc Davis,I'm back with good news and huge thanks !

It took me some time to understand the whole process and what possibly would be achieved.

To make it short: all your instructions led to the desired end:

my Fusion Drive has been recovered to its full extent and shape thanks to your instructions.

Nevertheless, there are still 2 questions:

• Is there anything in your large terminal command that refers to my individual, personal diskutil output ?
  • If not, that is, if this could be applied by everyone in a similar situation, am I authorized to post this article to our Mac User Group ?

Needless to say that the whole command line, as big as it is, has to be inserted with no deviation, no error at all, and I committed a slight error inserting "jhfs +" instead of "jhfs+" but was asked to get info about valid formats and this immediately helped me correcting my typo.

Finally, I cannot thank you enough.

With all useless googling around, I already had almost given up any hope.

Honestly, I admire your effective and unpretentious help and I was lucky, indeed, to find this site and your advice.

So, all I'd be looking forward to, is your authorization (with eventual restriction) to show your post to others in need of help.

With respect and many thanks

Sindbad

Feb 17, 2016 9:50 AM in response to rainer.imap1

Is there anything in your large terminal command that refers to my individual, personal diskutil output ?

No.

if this could be applied by everyone in a similar situation

Yes.

am I authorized to post this article to our Mac User Group ?

Yes.

the whole command line, as big as it is, has to be inserted with no deviation

That's why the instructions say to copy and paste, not type.

Feb 17, 2016 9:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis,

the instruction to paste the whole command line instead of typing, especially the part "Load this web page" was unclear (which page ?).

So I typed the whole command into the search field of Safari, copied and pasted it (included the mistyped part) into the terminal and all (except the typo) went well.

Finally, though, all you instructed me, solved the problem and that's the only fact that counts.

Once again, huge thanks to you !

Sindbad

imac late 2014 fusion drive partition map damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.