Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Performa 5260/120

good morning,

I have an old Macintosh Performa 5260/120 (MODEL NUMBER M3457) with this characteristics:

HDD: 1,2Gb

RAM:

CD Optical Drive

I have some questions about it:

• Is it possible to increase the HDD memory?
  • Is it possible to update/upgrade the OS up to the System 9? If it’s possible, where can I download it (in Italian or French) and how can I do?
  • Is it possible to change the CD drive into a CD Writer drive?

I hope that you can help me, because my Macintosh works well yet. Thank you so much and have a nice day!

Silvano Barazzutti

PowerMac, iOS 7, Performa

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 9:53 AM

3 replies

Jan 31, 2016 10:08 AM in response to silvi1989

For upgrade possibilities I recommend you look on http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/specs/mac_performa_5260_120.h tml

The age of the computer will make it extremely hard to find upgrades. It is highly unlikely any regular vendor will still stock them and you will have to turn to other sources such as LEM swap. For example, all your connections are likely to be SCSI and I haven't seen SCSI drives for sale in 15+ years. I know I have one or two in my basement and you will have to likely find a similar kind of resource.

OS9 was never a free download and Apple stopped selling those discs probably 15-20 years ago. I doubt they have any in stock. Sometimes places like e-bay will have copies but you have to make sure you do not get machine specific discs.

You may also wish to enquire at http://x704.net/bbs/

Jan 31, 2016 10:12 PM in response to silvi1989

Your Performa 5260/120 has the same motherboard as the desktop (computer only) Performa 6320, that was sold in the U. S. The internal hard drive uses an IDE (EIDE) interface, so you could install a larger capacity hard drive, up to 120 GBs. There are (2) memory slots that can each accommodate up to a 32 MB 72-pin SIMM, for a total of 64 MBs of system memory. The internal CD-ROM drive uses a SCSI interface, so CD burners designed for that were more rare and even more difficult to find now. Yamaha made some models, but they were 2x, 4x, and 6x models. The problem with changing the CD-ROM drive in those models with a non-Apple drive concerns the long connection slot, located in the back of the chassis in those computers. You slide the CD-ROM drive in from the front of the computer. Instead of cables connected to the rear of the drive, it had a pair of adapters that plugged into (1) the power and data connections and (2) the audio output connection. The exact spacing between the connections on the back of Apple CD-ROM drives matched the slot into which those adapters mated. A CD burner made by another company might not have the same spacing between its rear connections, which means that the drive cannot connect properly to the slot in the chassis. Because of its design, that motherboard wasn't the best in terms of performance and in the U. S., it gained a bad reputation. Many of these upgrades for your now 20 year-old computer are discontinued, so you'd be looking for used parts. Even though you've had good service from your Performa, it's difficult to recommend spending the money to make it run a little bit faster. Your money would be better spent on a slightly newer, older Macintosh computer.

Feb 1, 2016 9:50 AM in response to silvi1989

I agree with Jeff's assessment that your money could be better spent elsewhere. We had one of the US versions that he cites with the bad motherboard design. It was the only Mac I've ever owned that I wanted to use as trebuchet ammunition, even with RAM maxed out and a checked-out logic board that had no faulty components, just poor design.

Here is an excellent overview of the design issues--faulty components aside--that plagued that series of Macs:

http://lowendmac.com/archive/2k0929.html

Macintosh Performa 5260/120

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.