Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband unwanted voice echo

OS X 10.9.5, 2.4 GHz, 6GB MacBook Pro

Garageband '11 version 6.0.5, Blue Snowball Mic

I have been using Garageband for about 2 years to record live hypnosis sessions with my clients.

I first import a background music track (as AAC) and lock the track to keep it stable.

I use NO effects.

Audio resolution set at Good.

I then record my voice as I hypnotise the client, with the music track playing, and my client and I listen through Sennheiser headphones.

Here's the problem:

Sometimes (around 1 in every 6 recordings) my voice gets distorted part way through - sometimes 5 minutes in, sometimes 10 or 15 minutes in.

It sounds like I'm slurring and drunk, and at variable speeds.

I have to abandon the recording and start again.

I've done everything I can do not overload the harddrive: lock the track, use AAC import not mp3, no sound effects. But I don't think it's the harddrive because the cue doesn't change colour (remains white)

Could it be a loose USB on the mic?

Should I upgrade Garageband? (scared to in case it makes it worse)

Should I give up and try Audacity? (Aggggh!!) Get a new Mac? Become a plumber?

At the end of my tether - any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:40 AM

Hi HypnoJay,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I see that you're encountering some audio distortion when recording your voice in GarageBand. There are several steps I'd recommend to help isolate the cause of the issue.

First, are you working with an existing project that acts a template? If so, try recording with a new project in GarageBand.

Next, unplug the USB microphone and test recording using the built in microphone on your MacBook Pro.

Additionally, if the issue appears when doing these tests, you can try them in a new user account with the help of the steps in How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Sincerely.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 6:40 AM in response to HypnoJay

Hi HypnoJay,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I see that you're encountering some audio distortion when recording your voice in GarageBand. There are several steps I'd recommend to help isolate the cause of the issue.

First, are you working with an existing project that acts a template? If so, try recording with a new project in GarageBand.

Next, unplug the USB microphone and test recording using the built in microphone on your MacBook Pro.

Additionally, if the issue appears when doing these tests, you can try them in a new user account with the help of the steps in How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Sincerely.

Garageband unwanted voice echo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.