Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini won't start up + no chime + vent noise

I have a 2012 Mac Mini and its had some issues before, where the screen freezes and it either restarts automatically or it just stays frozen, with rectangles of noise appearing all over the screen.

I sent it to repair at the authorized service here in São Paulo but they told me they hadn't detected any issues and gave it back to me, and it was working fine (until now, a few mnths later). I had the same issues a few times today, and finally, now it just won't start up.. i managed to start it up with option+D but then it froze again, and now it doesn't chime, the light turns on but it just doesn't start up, and the ventilator starts a gradual hum that remains quite strong after a minute.

Howver, this vent sound only starts after a minute or two..

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 11:14 AM

1 reply

Jan 31, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Tinko

Not a good sign:

- Try resetting the SMC

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Try booting with D (Diagnostics) again.

If successful then

- Try resetting the NVRAM and NVRAM/PRAM

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

Otherwise it appears y have a hardware problem and service is required

Mac Mini won't start up + no chime + vent noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.