Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck at restart when upgrading from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8

Hi.

I have a late 2010 White MacBook (the 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo model). I recently made a clean reinstall from disk of Snow Leopard; the version I now have running is version 10.6.3.

I am trying to upgrade it to 10.6.8 so that I can purchase and upgrade to either Lion or Mountain Lion, I'm not sure which to choose yet. Anyway, I cannot use the downloadable upgrade package that can be found on the Apple website, as the system requirements for it are 10.6.7 – and yes, I have tried. Multiple times. The downloaded disk image cannot be opened.

I have tried using the Software Update option, which works fine. Checks for updates, downloads updates fine. Tells me to restart; I do so, and then I get a completely blank screen – no menus, no Dock, nothing, just the mouse icon and the default star background. I've left it like that for over an hour at a time, and nothing has happened. The only keyboard prompt that works is Apple-Q, which takes me to the login page. When I choose 'Restart' from there, I get the 'You must restart your computer. Press and hold the Power button until your computer turns off' scroll-down text. Once I've done so, I am still on 10.6.3. I have tried this five times now, with the same result.

I really need to upgrade this machine, as there are far too many things that I cannot do with an outdated OS. Can someone please help?

Thank you all very much in advance! 🙂

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 10:33 AM

2 replies

Stuck at restart when upgrading from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.