Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 2010 super drive accepts Snow leopard install disc but doesn't seem to sit in drive to enable reading

imac 27" 2010 snow leopard install discs came with my iMac and are version 10.6.3

aafter installing new hard drive I need to load install disc but SuperDrive does not seem to load cd in drive properly. I can eject with eject button but as OS not loaded I need to get drive accepting and reading discs.

super drive has always been a bugger to load discs so am aware this happens.

any tricks anyone?

thanks in advance

sarah X

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:53 AM

I think you may find what you need in http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-boot-snow-leopard-from-a-dvdrom.htm l

If that does not do it, then your SuperDrive may have problems.

Going forward, create a bootable clone on an external HD. You will need either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do so. Then when installing a new HD, simply boot from the clone and format the HD and restore the complete system from the clone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2016 6:53 AM in response to sjay5essex

I think you may find what you need in http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-boot-snow-leopard-from-a-dvdrom.htm l

If that does not do it, then your SuperDrive may have problems.

Going forward, create a bootable clone on an external HD. You will need either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do so. Then when installing a new HD, simply boot from the clone and format the HD and restore the complete system from the clone.

Feb 1, 2016 6:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

HI,

thanks for replying to my query, I have no luck with anything but when I had problems and contacted Apple they made me try all sorts and I'm just wondering could that of knocked my wireless keyboard out so it won't recognise it?

I have just found my old iBook G4 and thought I would try cd in there to see if it can read it and it loaded on screen. is there anyway I could hook up G4 to iMac and use that to boot? I'm not that technical on Apple even though I own iPads,iMac,phones, iBooks and minis so I really just want to make sure I don't create more problems.

I really do appreciate any help or pointers you could give me as I have missed my iMac and am desperate to use again now that I'm getting better again.

thanks a million

sarah X

Feb 1, 2016 9:50 AM in response to sjay5essex

Your profile says that you "own a few" Macs, so this may work, if you have another Intel Mac (not the iBook):

Hold down the T key while booting your iMac and it should go into Target Mode, showing a Firewire symbol on the screen.

Boot another Mac with your Snow Leopard Install DVD and then connect both computers with a Firewire cable.

When going through the install process, it should offer you a choice of destination disks and select the iMac and not the internal drive on your 2nd Mac -- BE CAREFUL!

I would suggest that you click on the OPTIONS button and check off the Rosetta and QuickTime 7 options.

Install Snow Leopard on the iMac and when complete, shut down the 2nd Mac and power down the iMac.

Start the iMac and it should now boot into 10.6.3. Immediately use Software Update to install all of the available updates, including 10.6.8 and after restart, repeat this process until it informs you that no further updates are available.

You will then have your iMac with its most modern versions of Snow Leopard to operate with.

Feb 3, 2016 3:33 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

HI Michael,

The only other mac with disc drive is the iBook G4 so I can't do as suggested. Would it not be possible to load on iBook and make a copy cd just in case that works?

if not going forward I will need to buy an external disc drive which is fine but what one to buy and also will they work via Usb even though I can't load drivers or anything until I get a screen with options?

sorry to be a pain but I bow down to you guys on here, your knowledge is amazing x

Feb 3, 2016 4:00 AM in response to sjay5essex

About the iBook (G3/G4) portables: These did not have a dual-layer

optical drive, + often only a Combo drive so recording to DVD media

was not likely. Or if possible, the system install DVD for OS X after

Tiger 10.4 (from Leopard 10.5, on) are dual layer and require much

better optical superdrive equivalent to make emergency backups of

OS X original media. So the idea is OK, but the hardware won't do it.

Not sure if a copy would be helpful. Did the computer ship with a

different version than 10.6. Snow Leopard? I haven't looked it up.

(Just checked against MacTracker... either factory grey label 10.6.3

or 10.6.4; perhaps boot from retail 10.6.3 possible -- see part numbers)

Original OS Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D2322a)

Later OS Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F2056, 10F2061, 10F2090, 10F2108)

The external superdrive option may be best; avoid the Apple USB

SuperDrive because it is not intended for use with the later Macs

with built-in optical drives. Try another brand. LC, etc. They cost

less and if the unit doesn't work, they should be returned to store.

And these USB superdrive-type drives (usually tray load is best)

will work with near any computer. In mac, many don't need drivers.

The OWC macsales site has examples of external tray-load drives.

And with the Intel-based Macs, with questionable internal optical

drive, the tray load external superdrive idea beats the Apple USB

superdrive if your mac has an issue with its original built-in drive.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

..iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz, 40GB HD, 1.5GB RAM, Mid-2005 Apple refurbished..

iMac 27" 2010 super drive accepts Snow leopard install disc but doesn't seem to sit in drive to enable reading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.