Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime issue with activation

FaceTime says 'Waiting for activation'. I am trying to FaceTime a friend and they can't use the phone number because they don't have service at the moment The number is grayed out. Apple ID (email address) is blue and has check mark but no FaceTime icon appears for me to call them. Not sure how to help them activate their FaceTime. Thanks!

P.S. iMessage works for texting without a problem.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 12:24 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Zrenjaninac

Your friend has to sign into Facetime on his/her device. You can not FaceTime with someone until it is set up on their device. Have them take a look at this.

Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

IF FaceTime is permitted your country, the icon is on the home screen and you would not be able to find it in the settings if you did not have it. I assume that you mean you don't see the icon when the app is launched.

Jan 31, 2016 1:23 PM in response to Demo

Hi,

We are in Canada so we have everything like in the US. My friend is signed in w the Apple ID, she's already using iMessage. When I want to facetime my friend, the FaceTime icon doesn't show up under friend's contact. They sent a screenshot and it just says 'waiting for activation' with the email being blue and with a check mark while the phone number is grayed out. Whether I click on FaceTime (app) or my friend's contact from contacts app, or even through our convo (clicking on the details), I do not see the FaceTime option.

Feb 3, 2016 7:21 AM in response to Zrenjaninac

I'm sorry about not responding sooner, and while I'm not sure I have a lot to offer in the way of help, I want to keep this discussion going. Maybe somebody else will jump in and help.

Has your friend tried signing out of FaceTime and sign in again....or has your friend never been able to use FaceTime at all? Has your friend tried basic troubleshooting? Restarting, force restarting?

Feb 3, 2016 8:42 PM in response to Demo

Not a problem! I have done all that for her before I posted on here. Signed her out then back in but to no avail. Tried a couple of other things by researching online and it just did not work. She wanted a new phone for a long time anyway so she purchased a new one. Her problem is solved; then again, it would be nice to find out a solution for anyone else experiencing this issue.

Thanks Demo

FaceTime issue with activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.