Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Osx El Capitan freezes all the time

early 2011 MacBook Pro 15", ever since i installed OSx El Capitan everything i do on it even with just one application open the whole computer will freeze. i've re- installed the OS twice, ran and repaired Disk Utility and everything comes back good, even as i type this i get the pinwheel for almost 30 seconds. watching movies on youtube or netflix and even in iTunes the screen will freeze and either come up with an error or then fast forward to catch up wit the audio again. ive cleaned my history, cache and everything. using activity monitor and everything comes up normal as well.

i have no idea what else to do

thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 12:34 PM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2016 12:54 PM in response to 13focusfanatic

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Feb 1, 2016 10:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

hope this is it

2016-02-01 12:39:35.000 PM kernel[0]: CoreStorageGroup::completeIORequest - error 0xe00002ca detected for LVG "Macintosh HD" (9F1981C9-F741-4B72-9982-84CED58CC89A), pv 38E2A691-FF99-43C0-B985-A29F405F8E87, near LV byte offset = 210339655680.

2016-02-01 12:39:35.000 PM kernel[0]: disk1: I/O error.

2016-02-01 12:39:35.000 PM kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][InterruptReadHandler] -- Received kIOReturnNotResponding error - retrying: 1

2016-02-01 12:39:35.944 PM systemstatsd[462]: assertion failed: 15D21: systemstatsd + 6747 [CD85D84C-79E4-3631-883B-C3D877822B93]: 0xa

2016-02-01 12:39:35.997 PM iconservicesagent[315]: Failed to get the real path for: /var/folders/fd/nxps7vpx6sq9c5nymx7dslc00000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices

2016-02-01 12:39:36.000 PM Console[1598]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

Feb 1, 2016 10:39 AM in response to 13focusfanatic

kernel[0]: disk1: I/O error could be indicative of a Hard Drive failure.

If you have not done so already make a backup of this disk as soon as possible in the event you need to replace it.

the 2011 Macbook has a relatively simple HD replacement procedure in the event you need to change it out.

see this video for more information

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgA03GOiUw

Feb 1, 2016 10:49 AM in response to 13focusfanatic

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Osx El Capitan freezes all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.