Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to find external hard drive for OS 10.4

Where can I go to find an external storage drive compatible with my old desktop MAC with OS 10.4 on board?

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 1:27 PM

12 replies

Jan 31, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Japib

Thanks for your reply. In this case, the 3.0 to 2.0 USB was not the problem. The issue was that I was unable to install the software/application from a WD Passport. I would have expected backward compatibility on this, as well. It's backward compatibility doesn't reach far enough into the past to cover Tiger/OS 10.4.

I just talked with WD and they told me that what I need is now a legacy item, but they say it can be ordered. I'll try that and see what I come up with. If anything else occurs to you on this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Meanwhile, all the best,

Jim

Jan 31, 2016 2:40 PM in response to Allan Eckert

The error message was: (This file) ". . . could not be installed because "My Passport" cannot be modified."

I looked further into the manual. The drive must be re-formatted for Mac, but the knowledge about how to perform this feat is on a data back back at Western Digital HQ. The manual also says it is only compatible with OS Snow Leopard and up, so that seems to say I either need a legacy version of this drive, if it exists, or I need to look for a different brand, . . . or I need to go get some high-capacity thumb drives and forget about an external HD.

Does this sound right?

Thanks,

Jim

Trying to find external hard drive for OS 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.