Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIN(RADIANS(180)) bug in Numbers

I have a bug in Numbers when I insert the formula

=SIN(RADIANS(180))

The result is:

instead of exact 0.0

Can anyone reproduce the behaviour?

Or is this bug only on my Macs and iPads?

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Numbers 3.6.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 4:30 PM

And here it is in Excel:

User uploaded file

Because of floating point arithmetic precision problems, neither will give an exact 0.

That's not a bug, but a fact of life with computers.

Not sure why the result in Numbers is different from the result in Excel, though.😕

Use the ROUND function to make it 0.

SG

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Andre20120311

And here it is in Excel:

User uploaded file

Because of floating point arithmetic precision problems, neither will give an exact 0.

That's not a bug, but a fact of life with computers.

Not sure why the result in Numbers is different from the result in Excel, though.😕

Use the ROUND function to make it 0.

SG

Feb 3, 2016 5:52 PM in response to Yellowbox

I've heard that people used to do that.🙂 A slightly different problem, but I had a devil of a time with significant figures for measurements taken in lab. Never got it right.

The thing about the Noah's Ark business is that, being too young to understand these things myself, I just can't understand why two mosquitos were allowed on board.

SG

Feb 7, 2016 4:12 AM in response to SGIII

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the gold star! Keep posting in Apple Support Communities!

Hi SG,

being too young to understand these things myself

Hello youngster,

I just can't understand why two mosquitos were allowed on board.

They weren't invited on board. Like all parasites, they hitched a ride. Besides, wouldn't their larvae survive 40 days and 40 nights of rain? They were in their element!

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 7, 2016 9:30 AM in response to SGIII

SGIII,

Wolfram Alpha shows the wrong result 1.2236....*^-16 in the preview.

But when I tap the Open button, the result went to exactly 0 as your screen shot shows.

All of you,

thanks a lot for your answers. Its crazy for me that a lot of different software showing wrong results - even under Windows.

Certainly if you just want to know what is the result of sin(pi), this bug is not a real problem. But if you have complex formulas, using a mix of this trigonometric functions and other floating point and integer functions, this could be a real problem.

Another example:

30.1−30.09 ist what?

You think 0.01 ?

But Numbers say

SIN(RADIANS(180)) bug in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.