Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swapping HD with SSD

I want to change my MacBook Pro Hard disk with Solid State Drive.Will it damage my motherboard?My link Speed is 6 gigabit and negotiated link speed is 3 gigabit.Pls advise.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 5:09 PM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2016 5:29 PM in response to Ashifuzzaman

You have not listed what year Macbook Pro you are using.

The newer Macs are not that upgradable. The batteries are soldered in, the RAM is soldered in, the SSDs are hard to find.

If you are using one of the earlier models from 2009 - 2013 they are upgradable.

Replacing the HD with an SSD will not damage your motherboard.

Here are some videos you can check out from OWC which show you how to upgrade both your RAM and Hard Drive to SSD. http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

Upgrading your hard drive to an SSD will make your computer run considerably faster. Also if you are upgrading to El Capitan, upgrading your RAM to 8 GB is also a good idea.

Good Luck,

Kim

Jan 31, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Ashifuzzaman

SSD vs RAM is a point that is unexpected ...

OSX like all UNIX-based OSes have a "swapfile" that is used to exchange currently-unused RAM segments to a disk-based file. In the days of "only HDs" RAM was always faster than swapfile-exchanges, so RAM was always the first change, followed by faster HD. Now, the SSDs are so fast that in some cases an SSD-only actually provides more value (only slightly, but it is there) than RAM-only. Putting both in makes for a much more dramatic increase in speed.

swapping HD with SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.