Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina cursor makes trails on display

I have a brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina and intermittently when it wants to the cursor will make trails across the display. If you go back over the trails with the cursor it erases them. Very strange. I have tried taking screen shots of this phenomenon but they do not show in the screen shots and they also disappear after taking the screen shot. It is hard to recreate but it seems sometimes when I startup Lightroom CC or change resolution to "scaled", it will occur. I happened to mention it to one of the "Genius's" and he said it was a known software issue but I cannot find hide or hair of it anywhere on the internet. I would hate to have to take it in and be without it if it is something as simple as a software issue that I may be able to find the solution myself. I have erased HD and did a "clean" install of El Capitan already, since I don't have much on this machine anyway to restore. No help, it still occurs randomly. Thank you ahead of time.

15" Macbook Pro retina

2.8Ghx quad core

16GB ram

512GB sad storage

Intel Iris Pro and AMD 2GB video

El Capitan 10.11.3

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 5:30 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:30 AM in response to KimUserName

To all, I have figured this out and it was my doing. Let me explain. I took the machine in for repair and they tried replacing the display. No help. They tried again and replaced the display again AND the logic board. No help again. So I totally wiped the hard drive, clean installed OS El Capitan and all was fixed. So I started installing apps one and a time and running a test after each app install to see if it was a software conflict. Everything was going fine and then I ran across an app in my "apps to install folder" named "gfxCardStatus", link: https://gfx.io/switching.html , which is an app for switching between the onboard Intel Pro Graphics or the AMD Graphics. Also to tell it to use either one or the other. I froze in my tracks realizing that I did install this before. So I did NOT install it this time and all apps are installed now and everything is working properly! Do not install this and if you have installed it, remove all traces of it if you are having these mouse cursor trails problem. It seems this app is either old or does not play well with El Capitan. Don't really know what version of OS it does work with, but apparently not El Capitan.

Macbook Pro Retina cursor makes trails on display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.