Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac sees input, no input to GarageBand

So recently I started getting back into playing/recording music; updated Garageband to 10.1.0, and broke out my old equipment. I am using an Edirol FA-101 firewire input; It is seen as an input/output device by garage band. I choose the appropriate track inputs (inputs 3&4, confirmed on the device), I can hear output through the Edirol (I can hear myself play; I can play music off my computer and loops from Garageband through it); However nothing records - waveforms are flat, and there is no output via the Edirol or internal speakers. What's interesting is that when I check system preferences I can see the input levels are responsive to input from this device, so the mac appears to be receiving sound from the device it's just not getting to Garageband?

Interestingly, I also just tried to record into Quicktime, which it did fine (although it won't play back over the Edirol, only the internal speakers?)

Thanks for your help

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011, OsX El Capitan, 16 GB RAM, 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

GarageBand 10, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 7:37 PM

7 replies

Feb 2, 2016 6:58 AM in response to Gowanus Mike

Greetings Gowanus Mike,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

From your question, I understand that GarageBand seems like it is not picking up audio. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would make sure the input source for the track is set correctly.

Set the input source for the track

1. Select the track you want to use, then click the Smart Controls button User uploaded file in the control bar.

2. Click the Inspector button User uploaded file in the Smart Controls menu bar to open the Smart Control inspector.

3. In the Recording Settings section, click the Input button to switch between a stereo input channel pair and a mono input channel, then choose the source from the Input pop-up menu.

User uploaded file

Before recording audio - GarageBand Help

Have a great day!

Feb 4, 2016 6:10 AM in response to Gowanus Mike

Hi Gowanus Mike,

Thank you for replying again with an update on the situation. At this point, because all of the settings seem to be correct, I would suggest contacting AppleCare directly. Contacting Apple Support will allow us to look further into this specific situation so we can provide you the best support possible.

Contact Apple Support - Apple Support

Best!

May 4, 2016 2:27 PM in response to Gowanus Mike

Hi brother... I was searching an issue and find this... So i hope you are the right person to ask...

I have a edirol firewire fa-101 too but my 2012 mid mac with 10.11.3 el capitain cound see my device...

I plugged in... My red led blinking...

But the device is not there... Not at midi preferences and garagebend too...

How can i make it work?

How did you do that?

Thanks a lot..

Blessings

May 5, 2016 12:03 AM in response to Gowanus Mike

Everyone typically thinks it's something Apple should know and be responsible for.... understandably so. But Apple releases first, then 3rd party follows suit and are the responsible ones to make their product compatible with OS X.

Roland:

Compatibility with OS X Yosemite (10.10)

ttp://roland.com/support/article/?q=information&id=63195833

Model name:

FA-101

Hardware and driver:

No

Under that same link is their Legend:

"No: No plan for compatible version"

"We are sorry but we have no plan to make it compatible with OS X Yosemite."

Here's the El Capitan version from Roland:

http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/2876#1011

I don't even see the FA-101 listed on the El Cap site.

Mac sees input, no input to GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.