Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Folders messed up after iOS update

I transferred photos in folders from my laptop to my iPad via iTunes.

Now every time there is a system update, these imported photo folders are completely messed up, e.g. duplicated Folders, containing photos from a variety of different folders etc. Of course I can neither move, nor delete, rename or anything else with these Folders, so I end up going through a series of synchronisation processes via iTunes, taking usually the better part of a day until all is back to normal.

a) Does anyone else experience this?

b) Is there a simpler way to fix or even better prevent this from happening?

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 3:19 PM

Rephrasing as suggested:

The problem occurs in the app Photos, on an iPad Air, currently running iOS 9.2.1

I transferred photos from my laptop (Windows 7) via iTunes (12.1.2) to my iPad Air (iOS 8.4 at that time).

Since then every time there is a system update for the iPad Air, e.g. from iOS 9.1 to iOS 9.2, then again from iOS 9.2 to iOS 9.2.1, the Albums on my iPad Air are completely messed up, e.g. duplicated Albums, containing photos from a variety of different Albums etc.

Of course I can neither move, nor delete, rename or anything else with these Albums, so I end up going through a series of synchronisation processes via iTunes, taking usually the better part of a day until all is back to normal.

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2016 3:19 PM in response to LarryHN

Rephrasing as suggested:

The problem occurs in the app Photos, on an iPad Air, currently running iOS 9.2.1

I transferred photos from my laptop (Windows 7) via iTunes (12.1.2) to my iPad Air (iOS 8.4 at that time).

Since then every time there is a system update for the iPad Air, e.g. from iOS 9.1 to iOS 9.2, then again from iOS 9.2 to iOS 9.2.1, the Albums on my iPad Air are completely messed up, e.g. duplicated Albums, containing photos from a variety of different Albums etc.

Of course I can neither move, nor delete, rename or anything else with these Albums, so I end up going through a series of synchronisation processes via iTunes, taking usually the better part of a day until all is back to normal.

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1

Mar 5, 2017 4:56 PM in response to Rob BMX Boy

The "fix" suggested by Rob BMX Boy did the trick for me as well, BUT only for some of the albums. Some albums have photos that were never in that name album. Some photos are not there at all even though they are in the folder referenced by iTunes on my iMac. All of you are correct, Apple should be able to fix this problem and it is a bad omen for the future that they do not seem to care about frustrating their customers. As long as they sell a lot of devices, the rest is just a bother that they don't seem to care about. They wasted a lot of time and energy redesigning the buttons, but not the software that does the work. Same problem with OS X or macOS.

Dec 27, 2017 8:45 PM in response to LarryHN

With each update, Photos offered by Apple was ever more overly pre-set with filing options I would never use--"Faces," "Events," etc.--I don't sort my photos that way. Always, using "Albums" was not great because they would take things I put in there and add them to other folders at will, label them, etc. I had already started my own photo-video folder my own Documents folder to avoid all that, simplify and eliminate quazillion duplicates. Then along comes the latest update. On my Mac I used to just click on the color-flower icon and Photo's would open, I could then click on "Photos" and see my latest pics from my phone, put them where I wanted, etc. Now, every time I open it they want to take me on a tour, even though I watched it already. I have to sneak into my photos from one of my other devices (iPhone, iPad) and somehow end up being able to just see my own photos. If you don't want to hear how the money-spender is experiencing the problem, maybe you could have a form for the money-spender to fill out so the questions would be what you are able to talk with.

Feb 1, 2016 2:49 PM in response to sylviet

Not without information - just stating a problem is not enough

first the words - in Photos or iPhoto folders do not contain photos - folders contain other folders or albums - albums hold photos so you need to celarly describe the issue

and your post is not clear about where you are seeing this - if the issue on your Mac or on your iPad

What OS and photo software are you using on your Mac (name and version) and on your iPad/

LN

Mar 5, 2017 5:55 PM in response to RobMorrison

Nothing new there. I and many others have had this same problem since 2014 (see my post on Page 1 of this thread). Also see King Penguins posts, a highly experienced user with the same issue. And yes, the method that you described above is exactly how I and others have been restoring our albums after iOS upgrades. But then after the next upgrade the photos get scrambled again, not with all upgrades but with most, and we have to repeat the process again.

BTW, there are at least 7 threads on the ASC discussing this same issue. Here is one of them.

Duplicated photo folders with mixed rondom photos after IOS 9.X update.

Jan 23, 2017 3:46 PM in response to sylviet

This just happened to me again today. I just updated to the latest 10.2.1 on my iPhone and my iCloud Photos library got all scrambled (albums falling out of folders). This has happened before and I don't think it's been every time I've updated, but in the past year, it feels like it has happened 2-3 times.

Any solutions yet???

Jan 29, 2017 1:32 AM in response to hans0802

Ive been searching for a thread about this for months. I have the same problem with the folders that are synced back to the phone from the PC. Easiest fix is to untick sync photos in iTunes and remove photos when asked. Let it sync then just tick the box again and sync one more time, done. For me it's always around 700-800 photos/videos and takes about 10 minutes. I'm not sure why people say it takes hours or even all day? Pretty crap there's no fix for this since it's been a problem for so long.

Mar 5, 2017 5:11 PM in response to RobMorrison

I found an answer on

http://forums.imore.com/photography-videography/242072-photo-order-scrambled-ipa d.html

"Anyway before you answer try this disconnect your iPad from your Mac then go into whatever folder you sync the pictures through. In my case I keep all my pictures in an "iPad" folder then organize Folders/Albums inside that main folder. So once in the main folder look for the iPod Photo Cache directory and delete it. Then empty your recycle bin to make sure the folder is gone. Now connect your iPad and in iTunes click unsync to remove all the images. Then after that is done reboot the iPad and when it boots back up connect to iTunes and click Sync with your normal settings and after the sync see what happens."

I just did this and voila, all my photos and albums were restored to the way I had them. All photos and albums are correct. Nothing missing, nothing added. Happy camper.

Jun 28, 2017 11:00 PM in response to elcpu

I not have an answer, just a similar problem. After syncing my iPad to the iMac via iTunes, my photos are in a total mess, scrambled from the earliest ever to the latest. There are 28115 photos, 409 videos, 47 items, with 2504 still ro be uploaded. i tried to load about 2500 photos from the camera card directly to the iMac, and they either did not load or are scattered throughout the collection somewhere.

in iPhoto, I had things sorted, then used iPhoto Manager to sort further, but neither of these options are available now with Photos.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem or do I have to go to Adobe Lightroom or elsewhere to try to fix it?

Aug 2, 2017 12:40 PM in response to RLHN

Yes. I experienced this problem using Mac. Large photo library synced with iCloud and other IOS devices. Everything got scrambled across all devices and iCloud in June. I spent days reorganizing and made a backup copy of the Mac photo library saved to an external drive.

Two months later, everything is scrambled again. I'll try to restore my backup library, but it seems that iCloud might overwrite things with the scrambled version.

Aug 21, 2017 4:08 AM in response to sylviet

Hello,

What you need to do is:

1) Have iTunes delete all your synced folders.

2) Check the folder where your syncing pics are in your computer and delete the folder iPod Photo Caché (that's the folder name even if you're using an iPhone).

3) Have iTunes reSync your pics. It will create the deleted folder again.

It worked for me. I'm using a Mac, btw.

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2016 3:10 PM in response to sylviet

Yes I am having the same issue with photos on iOS device. More specifically the core set of albums that should be syncing across is doing so. But there's also another 20 or so albums that are showing on the iOS device for which everything is totally scrambled. The album names reflect old album names that I used to use 6 months ago, but the photos inside each of these albums bears no resemblance to what used to be in the albums of those names.

I had not noticed this happening when I upgraded to a new version of iOS. I will keep an eye out for that. I think I fixed in the past by removing all photos, then adding just one album, then adding them all back. But the issue has cropped up again and I'm midway through that attempted fix now.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be much appreciated. This is happening on an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.2.1.

Mar 31, 2016 11:18 PM in response to sylviet

Hi,

I have the same problem! After every IOS update the photos of the synced albums are scrambled and additional (apparently previously present) albums with scrambled photos appear. Looks like some indexing is going really wrong...

The only way I found to fix the situation after the update is to sync the device without any photos (remove all), and then to sync again with photos.

Would be great if that annoying behaviour could be fixed by Apple soon!

cheers,

Frank

May 17, 2016 10:33 AM in response to notgeschenk

notgeschenk wrote:

Would be great if that annoying behaviour could be fixed by Apple soon!

Don't hold your breath.... I have had the identical issue since Dec 2014, reported it to Apple Care at the time, countless calls back and forth continuing even today, Apple engineering involved, new iPad, restore as New, metadata stripped from the photos, different photos synced, iPod Photo Cache deleted, etc. etc, all to no avail. See my posts and others here:

Re: Photos sync'd to iPhone from iTunes all messed up in iOS 8.1

Photos Folders messed up after iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.