Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth won't connect after iOS 9.2.1

Since upgrading to iOS 9.2.1 I have been unable to pair my iPhone 5 to BMW's Bluetooth communication system for hands free telephone calls. I have turned the phone off and back on, toggled Bluetooth off & on, deleted the pairing and re-tried, disabled Siri and have reset all networks, all to no avail. Bluetooth is working fine in my wife's Ford and streaming to a soundbar also works; it's just the BMW connection.

I have read that Apple has upgraded its Bluetooth protocol ahead of others, which may require software upgrades to certain other devices. Whilst I understand software upgrades are possible in BMWs manufactured since 2010, this doesn't help me with my 2008 vehicle (3 series). I'm hoping iOS 9.3 will fix this problem as I am not willing to pay for a BMW technician to alter their inbuilt software to match Apple's (nor should I have to buy a new car to match my phone!). Can anyone shed any light on this issue? I'm based in the UK.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:16 AM

I have tried all of the above as all in my X3 to no avail. I will be trying the forget all network settings option to see if that works. Can anyone think of anything else. I do a lot of work phone calls on my commute and this will seriously impact my work day if I can't get it to work.

23 replies

Feb 8, 2016 6:28 PM in response to Gkrigby

I hear you. Same issue, different car (2016 Toyota 4-Runner).

Additionally, iPad Air 2 will no longer connect with Belkin Ultimate keyboard.

Apple Chat guru: "It shows that your bluetooth is working properly. " and "I have not seen or heard of this issue with the update."

I suggested they Google "ios 9.2.1" and "bluetooth connect" and stand back.

What a mess.

Going to try to rollback to 9.2

Mar 4, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Gkrigby

I have a similar issue with my Ford SYNC system. After updating to the iTunes specific build of 9.2.1, I can no longer play music via lightning connector or bluetooth for more than a few songs. The phone's playback freezes through the outbound sound, but the tracks still appear to be playing on my phone and I cannot get it back without resetting the phone.

iPhone 6S+, iOS 9.2.1

Mar 7, 2016 7:20 AM in response to yvonnefromharrogate

At first I thought this may be an issue w/ JUST Apple...now I'm leaning to this being an issue w/ my car's software.

I drive a 2015 BMW M4 and until 9.2.1 I never had an issue pairing and using Bluetooth w/ my Iphone 6 - I can no longer connect.

In the past few days I've tried every type potential fix found the web, to include registering and downloading the newest beta (not that doing that is end-all) but it did not fix issue either.

This morning I was able to connect to my wife's 2014 BMW X5 with no issue, but still cannot connect to mine. What gives?

Mar 7, 2016 7:54 AM in response to Pollyr

@pollyr You mentioned you were going to try and revert back to 9.2 - is that even possible? If so - mind sharing how to do?

I'm taking my to BMW in on Saturday - they're going to make sure my software is up-to-date. This is frustrating though as I'm very dependent on my Bluetooth and as crazy as this may sound to some, was a driving factor in my decision to buy a new car (versus keeping an older BMW w/ no connection).

Mar 7, 2016 10:33 AM in response to DHDCF

I got mine to work at lunch today. I tried countless times to connect this weekend, all to no avail. Today at lunch I connected my phone via an Apple USB and now paired. Here's how all of this went down:

1. Last week updated my Iphone 6 to 9.2.1

2. Could no longer connect to Bluetooth in 2015 BMW M4

3. Tried every recommended fix that I could find - resetting network connections, removing devices, hard phone resets etc.

4. Patched Beta 9.3 - still did not work

5. This weekend then tried to pair using a knock off Apple Lightning cord (I use this as my regular charger) - no luck

6. Today I tried again, however, this time using a legit Apple USB and I am now paired.

7. Thank you pairing gods.

I don't know if anything that I've done over the past few days somehow set me up for today's pairing, but I DO know that I'm now paired to my M's bluetooth.

Mar 11, 2016 12:37 PM in response to Gkrigby

I drive a 428 BMW (2014) and I've been having the same issues. The phone is listled as paired in both the car and the phone. However, in the media view

on the display it lists no Bluetooth devices as paired. Restarting the iPhone 6 seemed to solve the problem but then the music stops abruptly and the same proble persists. I called BMW genius. The rep recommend software update for my car but I informed her that i already had the latest update installed. I even made an appointment with my service center.

Then I found this forum and the culprit became apparent, as I didn't realize that my connectivity issues started immediately after I upgraded my phone to 9.2.1.

as rhetorical as this question may sound, whatever happened to quality control? These are MAIN features and people pay extra money for enhanced Bluetooth connectivity. Now I have NO connectivity and not even an acknowledgment from Apple that they screwed up.

When I look at this silly business, the entire CarPlay concept seems very dubious

Bluetooth won't connect after iOS 9.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.