Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album folders disappeared in iphone 9.2

Hi I am using IOS 9.2 in iphone 5c mobile and one day i have seen all my folders in albums (camera roll, selfie, panorama, recently deleted,etc) disappeared and i am able to see only favorites and videos folder in album section in photos.

Although all photos are visible in photos section. Dont know what is the reason behind and how should i get back the folders.

Do anybody have any idea about this issue as i am facing lot of inconvenience due to this.

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 11:49 PM

10 replies

Feb 2, 2016 7:40 AM in response to vikhug

Hi vikhug,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are not seeing all of your albums from the Albums view in Photos on your iPhone. We know that these types of situations can be frustrating, but we are here to help!

To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would first suggest quitting the Photos application completely.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

After Photos has been closed, restart your iPhone.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Once your iPhone boots back up, open Photos and look for your albums. Please let us know if the issue continues.

Best!

Feb 3, 2016 3:50 AM in response to AppleJoe

HI Joe,

This is the first thing i have done and i am facing this issue from more than a month now.

I have reset my phone and upgrades IOS too and restore from backup. Even then problem is not resolved. So its getting too tough to solve this issue. I have searched lot of websites but unable to solve this issue.

Let me know if anything else can be solution to this problem.

Feb 3, 2016 6:09 AM in response to vikhug

Hello vikhug,

Thanks for replying with this information. Because you are still not seeing your folders after working through the previous troubleshooting steps, the next step I would recommend would be to reinstall the iPhone Operating System (iOS).

Before reinstalling the operating system, I suggest making sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Once your iPhone has been backed up, please follow the instructions in the next article to reinstall iOS.

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or won't turn on - Apple Support

Cheers!

Feb 8, 2016 2:54 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply and i have followed the same process.

1. I have reached the step where i have to select update and restore, but update didnt work and it says it wont be possible.

2. I have selected update and then it started dowloading 1.57GB of OS and then OS get installed and almost factory reset happened.

3. Then i have the option to restore my backup through itunes. Before restore, i have checked photos and all folders name was there for ex camera rool, selfie, panorma. But then i restore my backup, which i took earlier and then the same situation arises. Now OS is re-sintalled still i am not able to see the folders in photos section. All my photos are visible but folder names are still hidden or disappeared somewhere.

Overall, I am at the same stage again. It seems i am taking backup at this stage only and restoring so folders are not coming?

Let me know if you find anything to resolve me issue.

Feb 9, 2016 6:10 AM in response to vikhug

Hi vikhug,

Thank you again for replying with this extra information. At this point in the process, you may want to consider contacting Apple Support directly. Contacting AppleCare will allow us to look further in to this specific situation so we can provide you the best support possible.

Contact Apple Support - Apple Support

Best!

Feb 18, 2016 6:31 AM in response to gail from maine

hi, thanks for the reply but this also didnt work out..

i have turned off icloud as it was on. Now all pics were gone from moments.

then i have enabled icloud photo library along with my photo stream and photo sharing. Still same issue and albums are still not visible. Even now icloud pics are also not getting downloaded in moments folder as well. how to get pics from icloud photo library?

Sep 27, 2016 12:15 AM in response to vikhug

I have almost the same issue. My setup is what Apple would advise on how to use Photos within their ecosystem:

1) I put all, full resolution, photos in the OSX Photos app on my desktop. Because I have many holiday and birthday albums I created a few folders for those same occasions and dropped those albums in there. I turned on iCloud Photo Library on my desktop (took many days to upload and I needed a 200GB storage plan on iCloud but now see all photos on www.icloud.com/#photos)

2) On my iPad and iPhone I enabled iCloud Photo Library, but due to low storage available I set it to 'Optimise iPhone/iPad Storage'.

One day the folders where the Birthday and Holiday albums reside in are gone, similar to what you're experiencing. Which means the albums are also gone. At least, that's what one would think, but the Albums, and the photos within, are still there. They're still there on your iPhone, iPad, and Photos on the Mac. You can check this by searching for them, simply enter (part of the) Album name and the results will show those missing Albums and photos. You won't be able to see them in a web browser on iCloud.com because there is no search option there.

I *think* the reason for the disappearing folders is that with the synching between iCloud <> Photos on the Mac <> Photos on iOS is that if you rename a folder on the Mac it vanishes from iCloud and iOS. Possibly because you cannot create a folder on there.

The frustrating thing is that we cannot handpick what to restore; Photos on the Mac is just one large container and can only restore that whole thing. But doing so won’t ‘magically replace’ your Folder structure (or your entire photo collection) on iCloud. Nope, a restored Photos DB on the Mac won’t sync over the changes, it merely picks up from the last sync.

So, my dreamed up solution is going to be quite an exercise, which I hope will work:

1. Backup everything. All photos, may they be on your Mac, iCloud Photostream, on an iOS device - back them all up. Check that backup, browse through the photos, making sure you really have everything

2. On iOS, turn off iCloud Photo Library. It should delete the majority of photos, possibly leaving some in the ‘Camera Roll’. I think I’ll connect it to Image Capture on the Mac and hand delete the last bit.

3. On the Mac, open the Photos app, in Preferences, tick *off* iCloud Photo Library which should prompt me if I want to delete all my photos. Say yes to that.

4. Delete ~/Picture/Photos Library.photoslibrary on the Mac

5. Check that there aren’t any photos left on www.icloud.com/#photos

6. Check there are no funky cruft left in a bin somewhere, now that we are seeing more and more “files in the bin will be deleted after 30 days”.

7. Create a new Photo library on the Mac, importing photos from backup. I may decide not to use Folders anymore, though that will result in an extreme long list of Albums.

8. Have it all upload to iCloud by checking the option in the preferences

9. Enable iCloud Photo Library on iOS. My old iPad isn’t big enough for full resolution so I’ll use the ‘Optimise iPhone/iPad Storage’ option. On new 256GB iPhone I’ll store Full Resolution of the photos because I don’t like to wait for the photos to download while showing an Album to a friend.

I may need to block a weekend for all this to do. And the uploading will be a pain. So will the downloading be, as the software isn’t looking if your device is on the same LAN; it can only download from iCloud. Which is rather disingenuous because I could simply hook up my iOS device to the Mac with a cable. But I digress: Apple thinks all their users have high-speed Internet. And that isn't the case.

Nov 13, 2016 10:00 PM in response to Afiq Khairy

Sorry, I don't. The only way to restore the folders is to do the above 9 steps.

BTW the folders on my Mac somehow magically came back. No idea on how this is possible, but after ≈ 9 months they simply came back. And they're back on my iPhone and iPad as well.

Still, the app cannot be 'trusted'. Folders vanishing shouldn't happen, and I cannot trust Apple with my photos anymore. The whole design is done wrong, buggy and inconsistent. Can't even move an Album into a folder on iOS.

Album folders disappeared in iphone 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.