Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In latest OS-X and iOS versions, isn't iBooks supposed to synch across all devices?

In latest OS-X and iOS versions, isn't iBooks supposed to synch across all devices? I can't make that happen.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 5:34 AM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2016 10:32 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

In a chat session with Apple, it appears that what I thought was built into latest OS-X / iOS versions isn't built in after all. I thought you could store [download from somewhere, create by printing to PDF a Pages document, or whatever] a PDF in iBooks on one device, and that PDF would then appear on all your iOS and OS-X devices. They gave me some kind of iTunes upload/download thing as the only option. I tried that, and even that didn't work. I guess I'm just going to punt. This seems like a simple thing to me, and something Apple should provide [I don't do bookmarks, etc., and want my PDFs to synch all of that -- I just want to AUTOMATICALLY synch static PDFs regardless of source.

Feb 2, 2016 7:31 PM in response to CJTenn

Only ibooks (if they are still in the store and you don't move countries) will potentially show in the cloud for redownloading on your other devices/computers, PDFs and/or epubs from other sources won't.

For PDFs, if they are in the iBooks app on your iPad then connecting it to your Mac's iTunes and doing File > Devices > Transfer Purchases should copy them over even though they aren't iTunes/iBooks purchases - and then in iBooks app on your Mac do File > Move Books From iTunes. Is that what support told you to do and it's not working ?

In latest OS-X and iOS versions, isn't iBooks supposed to synch across all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.