Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't boot fully

I have two 27" iMacs that are periodically displaying the same symptoms since I upgrade them to 10.11. One is a late 2013 model and the other is the previous version.

Occasionally, both of them have failed to boot up properly. The boot up sequence starts, I get the chime, and then the progress bar starts to move across the screen and then it stops. The older iMac has a standard SATA boot up drive and the newer one has a 3Gb Fusion drive.

I have waited from anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes once the progress bar has stopped, to see if the boot up sequence will complete but it doesn't. Generally, switching off the iMac and then switching it back on again does the trick but I am sure there is something not quite right. I'd be grateful for any thoughts or solutions.

Kind regards,

Cliff

Brighton, UK

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 4:29 AM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2016 5:19 AM in response to Cliff Drew1

Remove all connected devices with the exception of the mouse and keyboard then reboot into safe mode

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

if after completing the safe boot and subsequent restart with your devices reconnected does not restore the macs to a improved state use Disk Uiltiy to check the drive

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks - Apple Support

if the drives show no issues check to see if you have file vault enabled and turn it off to test system response.

OS X Yosemite: Turn off FileVault encryption

if there is no difference after doing that please post an etrecheck report from the two systems and

etrecheck.com

iMac won't boot fully

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.