Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp partition not found...

Hi,

I'm trying to install Win 8 on my iMac with OS X EL Capitan, but it's harder than expected...

I have the iso file on USB for Windows 8 64 bit , I launch Bootcamp and I follow the instructions creating a partition in my hard drive , I digit the serial number, the installation starts, but once it checks the partition where to install Windows it can't recognize it and even if I format it doesn't work... here enclosed the message appearing and where I stop ...

someone has a similar problem or can support me with this?

thanks in advance

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:41 AM

22 replies

Feb 1, 2016 1:11 PM in response to Xese

Can you disconnect all external storage? Copy the ISO to your Documents folder, instead of leaving it on the USB. Run BCA. It will create an internal OSXRESERVED partition or prompt your for a USB, if necessary. It will also ask you for the location of the Windows ISO.

2015 Macs do not create a USB Installer. Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp173b3bf2 for details.

Feb 6, 2016 12:21 PM in response to Loner T

I tried to disconnect all the external storage, copying the ISO in Documents but BCA asks for an USB to install windows , looking first for the ISO file in Documents. once I arrive at the same point as before, so where the partitions were created, it can't recognize the BC partition even if formatted as mentioned in the apple bootcamp assistant page...

it seems that there're more problems in OS X than in Windows now...

Feb 7, 2016 12:42 PM in response to Loner T

I tried once again, with the ISO in my documents, downloading the last updates of Win drivers before starting and using only one external driver required by BCA, but the message is always the same, see the error enclosed...

the partition 4 is the BOOTCAMP that I formatted before but selecting this I'm not able to continue with the installation.

The message says (roughly translating from italian) that it was not able to create a new partition or to find one existing. for further details see the log file of the installation program (that I don't know where to find...).

I use a 64bit Windows version, could it be the reason? I could try with another version later or another Windows (10 or 7) if I'm able to find one...

thanks anyway

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 2:42 AM in response to Xese

1. Disconnect all external storage.

2. Run the following two steps.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

3. If there are any devices connected, step 2 will not correct the problem.

4. Now connect your USB2 flash drive with Windows Installer, and try to install Windows.

Please also see Boot Camp: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" alert during Windows 8 install - Apple Support .

Feb 9, 2016 2:46 AM in response to Loner T

Finally it works! I disconnected all the external drive including also the printer, I followed the procedures mentioned before and I was able to install Windows 8. then it doesn't work the internet connection but it's another problem when into Windows....

Now I haven't tried yet to restart the computer, but what should I expect to see when I switch on? can I select if start with OS X or Windows I suppose?

thank you very much Loner T for all your help to solve this!

ciao

Feb 11, 2016 2:03 AM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately now I'm not able to switch between OS X and Windows so now I have only Windows option when switching on the computer...

I don't have the Boot Camp icon in the task bar as mentioned in the page you sent.. I looked also among the hidden icons.

Then I found this download page: Apple - Support - Downloads and I downloaded and installed the support software for Win 5.1.5769 but I still don't have the Boot Camp icon, just some more tools for the screen settings etc.

What can I do now? I have my full archive in OS X and my intention was only to use Windows in few occasions so why I reserved a small size in my hard drive for the partition...

bootcamp partition not found...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.