Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving DV files from Snow Leopard to El Capitan

Serious problems here... 🙂

I've imported old video tapes through an old, strange machine that converts the analog signal to FireWire. As there was an issue with the old, strange machine not sending a time code or something along with the signal I had to use my old MacBook running Snow leopard to import the tapes. ...and now I want to move the whole thing to my new MacBook running El Capitan - that cannot at all recognize the DV-files as something useful. I could of course convert the files to m4v or something but I like the idea of having "original, uncompressed files that has not been messed around with".

Any clues?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:58 AM

11 replies

Feb 1, 2016 9:39 AM in response to dront242

If I understand your problem correctly:

You used an older Analog-to-Digital conversion box, such as from ADS Tech. These devices used Firewire to import into your Mac which then converted the files to a DV file.

If the conversions were completed, then you should have a library of DV files, and you no longer need the a"old, strange machine" to run in El Capitan. You just need access to these DV files.

What is the purpose for such access? Watching them, editing them, etc? Your answers will perhaps have different solutions for each of them.

Feb 1, 2016 1:53 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Yes, I now have a library of DV files on my old Mac, and those are the files I'd like to move and access on the new Mac.

First of all, the purpose is to save the content of the analog tapes by making them digital and be able to back them up and so on. Secondly, I want to watch them straight through as they were recorded and - third, I want to have the option to edit them later on if I ever get the time (like if I some day break both my legs or something and just have to sit for a couple of months). ;-)

/ David

Feb 4, 2016 12:35 AM in response to dront242

You need an editing program, such as Final Cut Pro or iMovie and a means to play the DV files.

In the earlier forms of OS X, Quicktime would play DV files and I assume that Quicktime can still play these files in El Capitan.

I have to remember when I have a DV file to experiment with in El Capitan, but try Quicktime and see if it plays it.

What do you have to edit with?

Feb 4, 2016 1:13 AM in response to dront242

Do you have iLife '11, which I believe has the latest version of iMovie?

I am not sure if that version will function in El Capitan, but I can try installing it over the weekend and see.

Also you might post a new question here specifically about iMovie and El Capitan to get more responses.

Try to find me a sample DV file somewhere on the internet that I can download to then import into iMovie for you!

Feb 4, 2016 3:45 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

The latest version is iMovie 10.1.1. iLife '11 included iMovie '11 which was actually version 9 (vey confusing I agree). Version 10.1.1 can import DV media though I'm not familiar with the details.

From the various posts it appears that iMovie 9 does run under El Capitan but still photos give problems (I don't have it any more).

Geoff.

Feb 12, 2016 11:38 AM in response to dront242

That is indeed really strange, but not complete outside the realm of possibility, given our experiences with other Apple upgraded products.

I have no experience with iMovie and perhaps someone who does will jump in here. In the meantime I see that I have iMovie v9.0.3 on my Lion partition and when I have time I will create a small project on it. Then I will upgrade to iMovie 10.1.1 on my El Capitan partition and have a look!

Feb 12, 2016 12:26 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

iMovie 10.1.1 should be able to update events and projects from earlier versions 7, 8 and 9. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov902ad0c31

For iMovie 10.1.1 to 'see' the iMovie 9 projects and events the projects and events folders have to be either in the Movies folder of the startup drive or at the root level of another drive or partition.

Geoff.

Moving DV files from Snow Leopard to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.