Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted network connections.

To start I am hoping this post will be put in Apple Support Communities > Mac OS & System Software > El Capitan...

I am currently using a 13" Macbook Pro late 2014 RETINA display SSD hard drive with an i5 intel. However I have been using mac's for the past 10 or so years and I love them. I am starting this discussion for the simple yet complex questions involved with network activity. What ever happened to booting up your mac/system and you "the user" is the person who makes all of these outside connections to the internet. I use Little Snitch, along with iStats. It seems kind of weird to need an app to watch all of your network connections. I was always under the impression only Windows (especially windows 10) was the OS that kept and sent all of your data back to Microsoft. Simply put for the lay mac user we don't even know what the majority of these daemons are trying to connect to the web for. A quick example is gamed. I have researched and looked up all of the Game Kit Frameworks which support this protocol, in total I believe there are 16. I have looked at each and decided I don't use any of them so why does this daemon need to connect to the outside world automatically? So I decided I would not allow it to connect to the web. Unfortunately i have recently read El Capitan has "System Integrity Protection" which prevents even root from modifying system files. So in short what does this mean? Again as a lay mac user (i am not a programmer or computer engineer) why must certain items run even if I don't use them? Geo-location is another example, probably better than gamed. I am under the assumption after researching a little bit, the com.apple.geod.xpc protocol basically is a location service. Well what if I don't want my location to be documented constantly while using my mac? Why can't i just turn it off. I believe it is mainly used for Maps. I started this thread with the intention of maybe getting an answer with a list of protocols/daemons/connections which need to be made and why. It seems like everyday I am googling to see what one of these Apple services are and why I need to be allowing it to connect to the web. Recently I had an unauthorized ovh.net server attached to my netstats and it was only receiving data from my laptop. I am not sure if i caught a virus on a website or something, but it spooked me enough to wipe my SSD and do a clean re-install. For me this process isn't very difficult because i keep all of my photos and data backed up on external hard drives and i just wanted to make sure that the server which was connecting to me was gone, and took whatever little code that allowed it to connect was gone with it. In short I would really appreciate some replies with Apple services which try to connect upon startup but you do not need. I am trying to run a system with as little bloat as possible. I do not want to use iCloud but it almost seems impossible because i own an iPhone, Macbook, and other Apple products which all want to communicate (even though i wish they were just single entities). If I can please get some help with things I can get rid of without disrupting the integrity of my UNIX-like OS aka OS X El Capitan I would be very happy. I would also like to see some replies to see if anyone feels the same way I do.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 8:30 AM

66 replies

Feb 28, 2018 6:55 AM in response to GreenMamba

Hi, GM. I am glad I stumbled on this thread you created several years ago, but are still keeping active. I am afraid that I cannot answer your "rapportd" question, but I can respond with some personal tips that I have implemented to make my computing life a little more satisfactory in our age of untrustworthy computing. I implement this technique every time I need to work on a modern Windows device in my home.

Step #1. Disable the default route. Yeah...this means nothing's going out the door, because there's no door to go out. In macOS, this would be in the Network portion of System Preferences, and you would need to set yourself up an "Configure IPV4: Manually" network address that would be correct for your home network. Usually you can steal the information that's been assigned to you by your DHCP server, but you need to delete the value in the "Router" field.

User uploaded file

Step #2: Install an internet proxy server on another device on your local area network. On my network, this happens to be a Synology NAS device with the "Proxy Server" package installed.

Step #3: Install from a usb stick your desired non-Chromium based web browser for your MacOS device. Firefox is usually a good choice, although they do a lot of their own "phoning home" as well. You might consider Waterfox, which is a derivative that claims to have removed most of the "phone home code."

Step #4: Configure the browser's proxy settings to access the Internet through your network's proxy server.

User uploaded file

Once you have completed these steps, the only Internet accesses coming from your computer will be those initiated by the web browser that you have configured to access the Internet through your proxy server.

I look forward to continuing this most intriguing discussion and to hearing your ongoing perspectives how we can work to restore our faith in online computing.

Fear.Him

Jan 19, 2018 11:08 AM in response to GreenMamba

It's funny I started this post but can't click on the "Helpful" button for "HELPFUL" answers. LMAO. Apple got so lucky today. This morning in D.C all of the big consumer tech lobbyists killed the deal to bring Huawei & their Apple killing smartphone to the states.

Again.. Camelot your reply was helpful not the others who want a short lazy question.

Jan 19, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

UPDATE

I just read this again, and ignorance isn't bliss. I pay for every piece of software and app on my machines. Everything.

In the developed world consumerism took the place of Religion awhile back (which is fine) but now all of a sudden people don't seem to care about their privacy. Maybe being an active member of the military, and someone who takes Freedom seriously I can't sit by and allow private (in this case) a soon to be Trillion dollar company to collect my data for free, sell it, and or give it to my government.

The "internet" is fine. I can use it with basic anonymity. My problem is with what macOS has become. I was so excited to buy the new iMac Pro. I mean I couldn't wait when I saw the specs. I have been so disgusted with High Sierra and Apple's lack of any kind of progress in the personal computing arena. I think Steve Jobs would feel the same way. All of this capital and focusing it on iPad's and dumbing everyone down. Gosh, he would be livid! I am now buying a new Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition with Ubuntu Linux 16.04 out of the box. It already won the 2018 CES Innovation award. Where did the INNOVATION with Apple go??? Oh yea Huawei is new Steve Jobs company.

I will end with this: What is rapportd? Why is it always listening and what apps or frameworks does it effect?

Simple question guidelines. Let's see the answer.

Jan 20, 2018 9:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There is also a legitimate Apple version of rapportd in addition to the one used by IBM/ Trusteer.

The path /usr/libexec/rapportd is protected by SIP - it belongs to Apple on a system that has always used SIP. It seems the name collision is confusing people.

On an up to date High Sierra check the code signing as discussed at… https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/308294/what-is-rapportd-and-why-does-i t-want-incoming-network-connectionsthat should show that Apple made it.

It appears to be part of Homekit according to this site…

http://applehelpwriter.com/2017/12/08/what-is-rapportd/comment-page-1/

The ones who know what it is for are not making it clear (Apple often don't describe every tool or feature in the OS).

The only question that GreenMamba needs to think about is 'Do I trust Apple?' Either you do or don't, if you don't then stop using their OS & hardware. It seems blunt but that is the situation you are in. Apple appear to be better than most companies for privacy and security but they are often not transparent in being clear what their OS's are doing & why.

Linux and Windows are no better in my opinion (especially Windows hardware vendors) but that is the choice you make.

Feb 2, 2016 11:16 AM in response to GreenMamba

I kind of get what you're saying. The trouble is that it's a multi-faceted problem and you might not consider all the use cases.

Usually, the features are enabled to provide some kind of convenience/enhancement to the user experience. Often in subtle ways you don't notice.

Take the location services, for example - sure, it's used by Maps.app to center the map when you open it, but it may also be used by other applications. For example, some web sites may use your location to customize content (this is common for local news articles, for example). Or how about the clock automatically resetting based on your location (very handy if you're a traveller moving between time zones). Both of these are cases you might not notice - nor need - but they do have some value for a lot of people.

I think the bigger issue you raise is one of transparency - an awareness of what connections are open, and what their purpose. It's hard to document those, though, in a way that makes sense for most users.

Feb 2, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Duane

Duane,

Sorry but its not as easy as asking one simple question. But per your request I will try to make a simple question out of it. I would like to know why the majority of protocol's which connect to the net via OS X El Capitan do so when I am not even using apps which use their frameworks.

The reasoning for this question is due to the Sparkle.framwork vulnerabilities, and how it works.

Thanks

Feb 2, 2016 12:26 PM in response to Camelot

Transparency is DEFINITELY the issue. I wish I could find a realtime updated list of protocols which are vital to OS X El Capitan's UNIX system integrity and why they NEED to be ran as soon as the system starts. For example Camelot, Maps.app also uses geo location to tag photos, videos and God only knows what else because I cannot find a complete list. But you are right, for the most part i think it is just to make the users experience more convenient. Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I want to know what is running and why.

Feb 3, 2016 7:59 PM in response to GreenMamba

It's a simple process to disable SIP.

I disabled it primarily because that was the only way I could get rid of the butt-ugly Dock Apple forced upon us in El Capitan.

Now I run cDock 2, which requires SIMBL be installed.

It allows me to change many aspects of the Dock and I now have a stylish 3D Dock again. 😎

Default Folder X v4 also couldn't run with SIP enabled.

Version 5 now runs as an app and works with SIP enabled.

So the only reason I now have SIP disabled is because of the atrocious Dock.

By providing such a repulsive look for an integral part of the OS and no way to change it, Apple is forcing me and others to use an unapproved hack and disable an important security feature that was specifically incorporated into El Capitan to prevent users from mucking it up.

How to turn off System Integrity Protection in El Capitan

1. Click the  menu.
  2. Select Restart...
  3. Hold down command-R to boot into the Recovery System.
  4. Click the Utilities menu and select Terminal.
  5. Type csrutil disable and press return.
  6. Close the Terminal app.
  7. Click the  menu and select Restart....

To re-enable SIP, repeat these steps, changing csrutil disable to csrutil enable.

Feb 3, 2016 7:57 PM in response to GreenMamba

Please use System preferences > Security & Privacy ...

... to turn off any accesses to your computer you do not want.

Then go about your business and stop obsessing over this.

If you decide to go out onto the Internet, they ARE out to get you. But since you have a well-protected Mac, "getting to you" requires your complicity in finding and installing the garbage for them.

If you are not happy about the risks of the Internet, pull the plug on your Router and don't go there.

Unwanted network connections.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.