Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn off MagicMouse zoom with Google Maps?

I'm using OS 10.11.3 (just upgraded) and a 27inch iMac and MagicMouse, and now suddenly the zoom feature with Google maps is out of control. I barely touch the MagicMouse and the zoom goes berserk, zooming in-and-out and back-and-forth like crazy! I can't click-and-drag any map with the zoo feature going ballistic.

I had previously been able to turn off that annoying zoom feature but I now can't find anything under System Preferences (mouse, accessibility, trackpad etc). Please help me. Thank you!

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 4:25 PM

The problem is I don't want it to zoom at all with the magic mouse, it zooms when I am not attempting to zoom. It makes google maps unusable. I am dragging the route to bypass a city center, next thing I am bypassing the country.

I plan on ordering a non-Apple mouse to use with the apps when it zooms by itself. It scrolls when I am not attempting to scroll. I just want to shut the scrolling off so I can accomplish the task. More and more Apple's improvements tend to make the computer unusable.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2017 4:25 PM in response to JonBoy64

The problem is I don't want it to zoom at all with the magic mouse, it zooms when I am not attempting to zoom. It makes google maps unusable. I am dragging the route to bypass a city center, next thing I am bypassing the country.

I plan on ordering a non-Apple mouse to use with the apps when it zooms by itself. It scrolls when I am not attempting to scroll. I just want to shut the scrolling off so I can accomplish the task. More and more Apple's improvements tend to make the computer unusable.

Sep 22, 2016 6:38 AM in response to FRENZIED

My answer is not going to "fix" the magic mouse behavior when scrolling in maps; however, I am going to offer up my solution that ended the madness for me.

1. Stop attempting to scroll in maps using the magic mouse.

2. Stop attempting to enlarge or reduce map images using the magic mouse.

3. Use the 4 scroll keys on your keyboard to scroll within the map.

4. Use the - and + keys on your keyboard to enlarge or reduce map images. (And don't worry about having to use the shift key with the - and + keys...it does not seem to be necessary for me...just press either key and you see your map image view either increase or decrease.)

5. Smile.

So whenever you want to traverse a map with your magic mouse--DON'T! Let your keyboard do that work!

Sep 21, 2017 6:58 PM in response to Nubz N.

These responses miss the point of the question. They refer only to zooming in/out of the entire Mac screen. The question was specifically directed at the image generated by Google Maps, and I have the exact same question. The window frame remains the same size. You can change that with a dozen different gestures. The CONTENT generated by the app is where the mouse loses its mind. Is there a way to slow down or completely turn off the finger drag zoom feature while navigating through a map?

Sep 21, 2017 7:11 PM in response to markfromlandolakes

Im with you Mark. In the pursuit of improvement Apple has left behind a lot of frustrated users on the trail. Dont even get me started with the new iTunes 12.7.0.166 removing the ios app functionality. What a major step backward. Sad but I think youve got the only sure fire solution. Get another mouse for use with Google maps. Now that's progress Apple.

Oct 8, 2017 7:23 PM in response to FRENZIED

I just upgraded from a mouse without a scroll feature, to a Mighty Mouse 2.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to use any maps. Not just google maps, but any page with an embedded google map. If "scrolling" on the mouse panned the map, that would make it infinitely more usable. But even if it did nothing, that would help.

But you simply cannot click and drag the mouse without also doing some amount of "scrolling" on it's back. This is less of a problem system wide. It would be better if the scroll back automatically shut off any time the clicker was held down. You can't move the mouse without moving your finger a little bit and unintentionally scrolling. But because scrolling zooms in on Maps, maps go absolutely crazy when you are trying to scroll.

FYI it is NOT a problem on Maps.app on OS X, because scrolling on the back of the mouse DOES pan the map, instead of zooming it. It makes all the difference in the world. But using web based maps of any kind is almost impossible. I'm a heavy Strava use so this is a huge problem for me. I'd go so far as to call this an honest-to-goodness bug.

Feb 5, 2016 7:56 AM in response to FRENZIED

Hi FRENZIED,

I'm not sure if you are pressing any other keys while you are scrolling/zooming around your screen or if this is only happening with Google maps but I'm sure that would be challenging.

It sounds like you are checking the correct locations to change the behavior.

Zoom options in Accessibility preferences - Mac Help

Set options for the selected zoom style (full-screen or picture-in-picture) by clicking More Options in the Zoom pane of Accessibility preferences.

To open this pane, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility, click Zoom, then click More Options.

Fullscreen zoom

Maximum Zoom and Minimum Zoom

Set the magnification range to use when zooming in and out rapidly.

Make the screen image larger using your trackpad - Mac Help

You can use your trackpad to zoom in on part of your screen.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility, then click Zoom.

2. Select “Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom” to turn on zooming, then choose Control, Option, or Command from the pop-up menu.

Does that work for you?

Feb 4, 2016 8:58 AM in response to Nubz N.

Thanks, Nubz. Unfortunately I've tried all those things and none of it helps. It only happens with Google and MapQauest maps. I'm using an Apple MagicMouse (no trackpad) and not touching any other keys and the map zooms back-and-forth wildly. I can't pan the map or drag to a new location on the map without the zooming function going crazy. It all started when I upgraded to OS X El Capitan (from OS X Cougar). There used to be a function in OS X Cougar that would turn the feature off, but not in El Capitan.

Oct 3, 2016 4:06 PM in response to FRENZIED

This problem for me extends to many apps, the Accessibility controls do nothing in regards to this. The problem is much worse with Sierra. I suggest not installing the update to sierra. I actually bought a new version of an app for $40 to hopefully fix this problem. That $40 was a waste. Besides getting a windows machine I suggest never switching MacOS versions, this update, (macOS Sierra), only serves to make the computer less useable. There seems to be no way to shut off zooming. It is great for scrolling. Zooming no longer works. Slide your finger a little, nothing happens, slide it a little more, nothing happens, slide it a little more and one pixel fills the screen at 8000%.

PS: I was able to find a place in Graphic Converter to turn off the zoom feature. I wish the same switch was in Safari.

How can I turn off MagicMouse zoom with Google Maps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.