Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring my iphoto library on my mac book pro

restoring my iphoto library on my mac book pro. I was importing some photos and my macbook pro shutdown and restarted on its own. after which iphoto would not respond. I tried opening it several times and a few times with cnt and com key but to no avail. What should i do.

os x 10.10.5

thanks for all the help. and no it was not backed up.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 8:06 AM

6 replies

Feb 1, 2016 1:40 PM in response to Chigoji

For starters, stop using your Mac. Anything saved to disk now is most likely overlaying your deleted library destroying more of your photos.

Then you will need another disk drive for the file recovery software ti store the files it is able to recover.

Next you will need to select one of the software packages that are reviewed at http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/mac-recovery-software/

I am sorry I can't recommend one from personal experience because I have never had the need to use one.

Feb 15, 2016 5:45 PM in response to Chigoji

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Can you use iPhoto with a new library? If you can then the application is not broken but your library.

If the test library works here's one way to recover your photos or most of them:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

restoring my iphoto library on my mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.