Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album artwork is incorrect on Iphone 6s

Ever since i purchased my iphone6s everything has been working great! However over the past few weeks my music has started acting up a little bit. All the songs I have downloaded play perfectly fine, however, when I add them to my phone the album artwork is completely wrong. For example - I would add a song by Drake to my phone, and it would attach album artwork from Mac Miller. I've tried deleting and re-adding the music but it just picks a different album cover each time. All the artwork is completely fine in my iTunes as well.

Any help would be amazing!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 8:56 AM

45 replies

May 18, 2017 8:23 AM in response to jamzan92

This is still happening in iOS 10.3.2. Ripped MP3s get seemingly random artwork from other artists in my library when synced. Details about my setup:

• "Manually manage music and videos" is turned on. I use manual sync (drag-and-drop)
  • "Show Apple Music" is turned off. After the update to 10.3.2, it turned itself back on.
  • Album art may or may not have been added manually using copy and paste in the "Get Info" menu. I mean to say that the issue happens in both cases where I added the art or iTunes did automatically.
  • Not only is the album art correct in my library in iTunes, but also when I look at the library on my phone through iTunes.

I have tried

• Syncing with internet turned off on my phone and my computer.
  • Syncing with "Show Apple Music" on and off.
  • Deleting and resyncing the affected music. BTW: music that had the correct art now gets the wrong art if resynced.

I have reported this as a bug to Apple. #32022042.

Mar 29, 2017 11:32 AM in response to jamzan92

So I fixed this on my iPhone 6S+. Log into iTunes with your phone plugged in of course. Here's what I did:

Select phone icon next to the CD Icon

Hit music on "on my device"

On the bottom where it shows "auto fill" hit settings

If "choose items randomly" is checked then uncheck it

Of course hit ok then done.

That fixed the problem for me. It was only my "3rd party" music outside of iTunes that was messing up so this fixed my issue. Hope this helps everyone in the future!!!

Apr 9, 2017 10:24 PM in response to jamzan92

Same problem. Just started with 10.3 update actually. Random artwork with all newly added music on iPhone 6 and correct in iTunes.

Hey Apple the count is getting larger. Time to do some work here. How many lines of code is iOS now? Can it really be managed anymore?

And no the other methods listed here do not work and should not require a user to perform such a drastic delete and re-sync. Simple check box fixes sound nice but we all know that no 2 phones are truly identical with content and apps so we are all really Apple guinea pigs in solving their problems with our free time. Make it stop.

May 27, 2017 11:50 PM in response to jamzan92

I have the same issue!!! When is apple going to fix it!!! It started when apple music came out!! It is very annoying and i don't like having the wrong album covers showing up on my iphone6s. I been hoping it will get fix but it still doing it and its been months now. Everything is find on my laptop but not my phone. I have tried many things and nothing will fix things. Please fix this issue apple!!

Jul 15, 2017 10:12 AM in response to jamzan92

The problem is ITUNES not your phone. I downloaded a free alternative to iTunes to put music on my phone after 4 months of this dumb issue and it puts all the album art correctly. There is no fix to change what's already on your phone. Delete it off your phone and resync it in a different program similar to iTunes that allows you to add media to your phone and it'll be good. It's time consuming if it's been a few months and have to re add a lot of music, but it's worth it. I used Syncios for Mac as the iTunes sub, just give it a Google and see what you find. Hope this helps!

Jul 26, 2017 1:40 PM in response to jamzan92

For me the problem was caused by incompatible album art, so if you have this problem and you have added custom album art to any tracks, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that all your custom album art is in .jpg format and has size 600x600 pixels.

2. Make sure that for each album with custom album art, each track has the same art.

3. Delete music collection from iPhone and re-sync.

I had just 3 songs with incompatible art and that scrambled the artwork on my whole music collection, fixed it with this method.

Oct 20, 2017 1:54 AM in response to Krisstynicole

I have this issue too.

I have uploaded new songs onto my iphone7 11.0.2 and 11.0.3 and the album art has changed.

It was correct in my iTunes Library but once I open music on my iPhone it is different.

for example The Doors - The Singles now has Prince 4 Ever artwork etc.

It always picks up album art from other albums I have had on my phone.

I don't have iTunes Match or iCloud Music Library turned on (I was stung by this a couple of years ago).

I do subscribe to Apple Music.

I only copy songs from my iTunes library via USB cable. Drag and drop, not auto sync. Manually managed.

I’ve tried turning WiFi and data off when adding tracks and initially it worked.

Then stopped working.

I updated to 11.0.3 and now get Iggy Pop for every album I copy in.

It’s doing my head in, never had this issue before 11.0.2

I’ve noticed the cloud download icon flash on and off in the music app like its trying to do iCloud music even though I have it turned off. And if I tap the 3 dots I get the option to download the album from the cloud even though it’s on my iPhone and I have iCloud music library turned off.

If I tap it it disappears.

I suspect it’s something to do with iCloud music library. But I don’t want to turn on that option as I don’t want to sync the 100,000s of albums I have and risk messing them up (which is what happened a few years ago)

Oct 21, 2017 8:20 AM in response to ste64

This is doing my head in.

I've tried it with my computer disconnected from the internet and the iPhone on airplane mode. Still doesn't work.

I've turned of Show Apple Music (and all the other buttons in the music settings on the iPhone.

I've tried everything that's been suggested on these pages, but It still puts the wrong artwork to the music I copy over.

Even with all the setting for apple music turned off it gives me the option to download from the cloud, which it shouldn't. This is a bug I suspect.

Even when iTunes and my iPhone ar logged out of their respective accounts, it still gives me the wrong artwork.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oct 22, 2017 3:20 PM in response to jamzan92

I've had luck going into the "Info" on each song with incorrect artwork, deleting the image, finding the exact copy of the album artwork off the internet, and then using that album artwork as the image. It will usually accept this, but I'm finding the incorrect artwork problem happening more and more and it's incredibly annoying. That's the only solution that I've been able to come with so far, and it's only worked about 85% of the time. There is clearly a bug in iTunes that is allowing this to happen.

Oct 23, 2017 2:21 AM in response to johnnydice

I gave up and did an erase and restore on my phone last night. It took ages as it’s got a lot of stuff on it.

Anyway when it came to copying songs back on they all copied over with their respective artwork.

I was dragging and dropping.

Did about 16 albums and they were all fine. Then I copied The Foo fighters and it suddenly appeared with a Kasabian cover.

I deleted it from the iPhone, opened the album in iTunes then copied the artwork and pasted it straight back. The files updated in iTunes and I copied it back to the iPhone and it was fine.

Bizarre.

Might be worth trying this before you do an erase and restore to see if it works.

I have noticed a similar mixup now with my audiobooks in iBook.

It is showing a music cover instead of a book cover until I open the audio book then it switched to the correct cover.

Nov 27, 2017 8:26 AM in response to mtg301010

Not sure if you've figured this out yet but I've found a fix, albeit a time consuming one IF you have a ton of songs/albums impacted by this issue. I subscribe to iTunes Music and very, very rarely purchase an album.

I will lay out what happened to me.

-Purchased an album (DMB Live 25) from outside iTunes as it wasn't available in iTunes and not sure if it ever will be.

-Imported album into iTunes with the correct Artwork.

-Turned off iCloud Music Library and transferred album to my iPhone via iTunes (that's a whole other story).

-Once album was on iPhone turned back on iCloud Music Library and chose to keep and merge.

-Started playing album and artwork for every song was different, even though it was correct in iTunes.

-I concluded (right or wrong) iTunes was pushing art work it thought was right for each song. I'm OCD and hated this.

After reading many posts I did the following. Remember, this was not labor intensive for me as the album is only 25 songs, but I can see this being a major pain for anyone with hundreds, thousands of songs.

-Deleted album from phone. Turned off iCloud Music Library on phone.

-Went into iTunes and edited each song title. I simply added "- 25" to end of each song. E.g. "Seek Up - 25"

-Instead of iTunes pulling the original album cover for the song "Seek Up" it now uses the DMB Live 25 artwork that came with the album.

-Re-downloaded the album to my iPhone.

-Turned back on iTunes Music Library and selected Keep and Merge and I'm good to go.

Good luck all.

Mike

Dec 3, 2017 1:14 PM in response to jamzan92

I found a very simple solution. Simply disconnect your pc, laptop or Mac from the internet if your album artwork is correct in your iTunes library on those devices. Then sync one or two songs to your iPhone while disconnected from the internet. Check your phone to verify that the songs you just synced while not connected to the internet have the correct album artwork. You will see it is correct. Now you can reconnect to the internet and it should sync with the correct artwork afterwards. When it comes to the tracks you’ve already synced that added the incorrect artwork to your iPhone, you are screwed. Your only option is to delete them and to re-sync them once you’ve done the whole disconnect/re-connect thing. You’re welcome.

Jan 11, 2018 8:36 AM in response to jamzan92

Hello all...that reply might come too late since its an old post but I just got an iPhone 6s and got exactly the same problem. Artwork was correct on the computer but mixed up for some tiltes for Movies, TV shows and Music.

I tried some of the sugested solution but they did not work. However, I did solve my problem pretty simply...

I deleted the TV and Music apps from the iPhone (choose the delete all data), re-installed the 2 apps from the app store and re-sync my iPhone with iTunes et Voila !

All artwork are now correct !

Hope that can be usefull for some.

Michel

Feb 9, 2016 3:02 PM in response to jamzan92

Same issue here - albeit with my iPhone 6. All was good for 6 months. But this started about a week ago. Album artwork is perfect in iTunes on my mac. But when I transfer to my iPhone, the new music I load has messed up artwork.

Oddly, the "wrong" album artwork is in sequential alphabetical order by Artists. In other words, I tried adding 2 new albums from my mac to my iPhone. On the phone, the artwork is of another artist each time, starting with the letter A. I delete and try again, same thing happens, but the new "wrong" artwork each time is from a different artist starting with A. Not that it really matters, but I find it odd that every time I try, it's a different "wrong" album art all within artists beginning with A. I'm sure if I try enough times, I'll get to artists starting with "B" 🙂

Very frustrated as I've been meticulous about my music files, names, tags, art, etc.

Album artwork is incorrect on Iphone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.