Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac having to reload osx after power off

any fix for iMac not loading....have tried reboot and cleaned discs...all ok but have to reload osx to start iMac up everytime..

iMac

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 9:50 AM

5 replies

Feb 1, 2016 2:48 PM in response to david@3

OK, if I got it all, you have erased the startup volume and reinstalled OS X, but what happens at startup? Does it restart immediately and produce a black screen with white type message lines? Does it always get to the Apple logo with the progress bar, but never finishes? When you did the clean erase and install of OS X, did it exhibit the same problem from the very first startup or not until you restored your data?

If this is happening from the very beginning of your reinstallation, then my guess is you have a failing disk. I would then consider making an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly.

Feb 4, 2016 2:00 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy I read that it might be failing disk,however iMac is up and running now....I have actioned repair permissions and noted that HD has 695gb left . I just know that if I power off then I will have the same scenario again. As I recall I had a black screen on startup.....Are there any actions I can take whilst its behaving now...? Im running 10.11.3 El Capitan.............

Feb 4, 2016 9:41 AM in response to david@3

If you have good backups, then you might try erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS X version that came with the computer pre-installed when new. This may involve using installation DVDs that came with the computer. If the computer came originally with Lion or later pre-installed, then you would do this:

Install OS X Using Network Recovery

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Network Recovery Server:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

If the drive is failing (check the SMART status reported in Disk Utility or with a third-party utility.) If that does not show the drive as "Verified," then there is a good chance it is failing. However, SMART may report a drive as verified when it is actually failing. It is not highly reliable.

The best thing to do is as suggested above - take it in for service - if you cannot get it back to normal.

iMac having to reload osx after power off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.