Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWork installation

I recently purchased an unused, sealed box, brand new version of iWork 9.0.3 for my iMac (details below). A few years ago I tried the iWork trial app and allowed the 30 day trial period to pass without purchasing a license. I installed the brand new version yesterday without removing the trial app, and a screen came up telling me that I had to purchase a license for the latest version, which I cannot use, or install the app if I had the disc and follow installation instructions, which I did.

The installation seemed to be OK because a window came up "installation successful." When I tried to open any of the apps in the suite, I received a long error report stating that I need to "check with the developer……."

I then used Clean My Mac to uninstall anything to do with iWork, both past and present. I "successfully" reinstalled the new software and tried to open anyone of the three apps. I got the same error report.

The System Requirements section of the "read me" specifically mentions that I have met all of the requirements necessary to install iWork 9.0.3.

Anything else I can do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.16 GHz , Max GB 667,

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 10:47 AM

6 replies

Feb 1, 2016 8:01 PM in response to IKH

The second worst thing you can do is install a trial iWork '09 DVD, as it writes a specific file into System locations that informs the applications to prompt for a serial number. No amount of reinstalls, or updates will change the presence of this file.

The worst thing that you can do on your Mac is to run so-called cleaner applications that can (and do) aggressively remove necessary components of applications and the operating system. It is unlikely that Clean My Mac got all of those iWork '09 trailware files or you wouldn't be prompted for a registration key.

Apple has an article on what specific files that you need to remove to clear out the iWork '09 trialware before a retail iWork '09 DVD, and Apple iWork 9.3 updater (DVD only) can be effectively installed to provide an operational iWork '09 application suite.

iWork installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.